cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5DSr and Otus 85mm - NOT SHARP!

charleshansen
Enthusiast

Anyone else with this combination please chime in...

I get razor sharp results before the picture is taken looking in either the viewfinder or Live View. Then, when the picture is actually taken wide open, at 1.4, the image is completely blurred. There is NO vibration - using a Really Right Stuff pod with BH-55 head, and cable release. I am NOT locking up the mirror, as I should not have to with this setup.

The exposures are 1/4000 at f1.4.

If I start stopping down, then 4-5 full stops later, sharpness starts to return in the final snapped exposure. But I consider this not only unusual, but quite ridiculous. The 5DSr performs perfectly with other lenses. I bought this lens to use wide-open at 1.4!!!

A tech rep at Zeiss has asked me if I have locked-up the mirror - my reaction is why would I have to do this at 1/4000 second?

How would I lockup the mirror if I were to hand-hold and shoot a head-shot at 1.4? I don't get it.

13 REPLIES 13

charleshansen
Enthusiast
I'm starting to think yes. Words of wisdom from Robert

Here's some food for thought.  Check out the linked article tagged as the solution.

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS/1DX-II-Zeiss-Otus-85mm-severe-underexpose-problem/m-p/186284#M...

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

charleshansen
Enthusiast
Ha, interesting. So, possibly an electronic glitch in the lens. I am sending a file (picture) to Zeiss as they requested, and I'll post their answer.
Thank you for your thoughts

Mitsubishiman
Rising Star
I have the 5DsR, 4 Canon L series lenses, I have never experienced what you are indicating so it must be specific to the lens, perhaps the mirror slap, I will say that the 5DsR does have more vibration during the slap than my 7D or 40D, so the mirror lock up could be an advantage, I tend to utilize live view except for setting the final points then the viewfinder is the only option, I am curious as to the focal distance you are experiencing this effect, or is it just at f1.4
Announcements