cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5DSR in LiveView 16x magnification, question.

Cunha
Rising Star

Hi,

5DSR users.

I use manual only lenses from Canon and Zeiss with my Canon camera. Manual focus is sometimes an hard task with the Canon MP-E 65mm super macro or the Zeiss Planar 85mm. I was considering a loupe, like a Zacuto Z-finder; for critical focus.

My current camera is the 5D Mark III but I´m considering an upgrade to the 5DSR.

Will this 5DSR unique feature in LiveView; the 16x magnification; avoid the purchase of a loupe?

Thank you very much for all the help.

Regards.

37 REPLIES 37

Mitsubishiman
Rising Star
Also, if you are hoping to also shoot video, the MK IV is superior to the DsR

Video is not important to me.

My only concern with the 5DSR is D.R. Canon files are not as much editable as those from other brands sensors. I do sometimes push the editing a bit more and it´s very easy to see noise and banding. I can´t stand banding.

The 5DSR is a little bit better than my camera (5DIII) and the 5DIV is even (maybe much) better but other brands are still better, even with older cameras, like the Nikon D810. It´s a pitty, because I like eveything about the Canon system.

Mitsubishiman
Rising Star
That is interesting, I also push the editing sometimes just to see what the limitations are, I have DPP, PSP and LR each has something the others do not, and although I am primarily a landscape photographer I have to say I have yet to experience banding with the DsR

Banding since the 5DII with Adobe apps.

I don´t use Adobe anymore; Affinity Photo now and keep using the Nik plug-ins.

Noise and banding if I edit beyond a certain degree. Not recovering exposures; if my technique is correct. But transforming the image to B&W, monochrome, or heavy colour transformations, etc.

I do some heavy editing, but I´ve tested the same with Nikon files and they hold much more the "abuse" .-)

My only real issue with any software is they do not seem to keep up with certain aspects like newer lenses, I purchased the Canon 16-35 f2.8 L III, it is a remarkable lens and Adobe has yet to release a Lens profile for that model, so I have to open it in DPP aply the correction, then open it in LR to finsih post processing, in PSP there is one function that neither of the others do as well - srcatch remover, if I want to remove power lines or straight lines of any object it just does it better (Effiecently)

I will look into Affinity Photo, thanks for the tip.

Maybe you´ve a good technique to start. Then you do not edit too much. Keep "reality real".

I do sometimes big transformations. The files do fall apart. 

Was hoping that the 5DSR files would behave a bit better but I´ve my doubts... because it´s a "old" sensor with th old analog/digital design outside the sensor like my camera.

Affinity Photo and Designer (from Serif). Great alternatives. Affordable alternatives. I don´t like to rent software ,-) 

Posterization or banding.

I use RAW files, TIFF 16 Bits, good technique but sometimes posterization occurs. A bit of noise to save the image.

Mitsubishiman
Rising Star
I would not let that deter your decision, perhaps I could send you some raw files on DVD to experiment with
https://500px.com/paul_r_herold

No need; thanks a lot. There´re files online. Thanks again. Very kind.

The 5DSR is a tricky camera with so many tiny pixels, to master. 

One must use good technique in order to obtain maximum quality (detail, sharpness, etc) IF that is the goal.

The usual: tripod (sturdy one and correct use; L bracket for verticals; good equilibrium), mirror lock-up, timer, good focus using LV (with manual lenses) and taking advantage of the 16x magnification (or a loupe), base ISO, no Noise Reduction, no lenses I.S; best lenses apertures and the best and correct exposure within the D.R. of the camera for minimum post-processing; the camera will deliver amazing results; again, IF that is the goal.

Canon deliver amazing colour. Ergonomy is the best. Live view is the best. Menu system is the best. IMMO.

For handheld work; another technique I guess. 

For In Camera Movement, .-) another technique, etc.

At the moment this camera´s only "weakness", comparing to other brands, is a bit lower D.R. The Mark II version, I´m sure will solve this aspect with the new hardware design already implemented inside the 5DIV.

And .-) no AA filter at all; good and bad.

Maybe this isn´t the ideal camera for fast reportage, with máx. pristine detail at the same time, but that´s life.

I wish I could afford both (R & IV), for different jobs, but I can´t. Maybe an R and a M5 ,-) and share the glass.

@Cunha wrote:

No need; thanks a lot. There´re files online. Thanks again. Very kind.

The 5DSR is a tricky camera with so many tiny pixels, to master. 

One must use good technique in order to obtain maximum quality (detail, sharpness, etc) IF that is the goal.

The usual: tripod (sturdy one and correct use; L bracket for verticals; good equilibrium), mirror lock-up, timer, good focus using LV (with manual lenses) and taking advantage of the 16x magnification (or a loupe), base ISO, no Noise Reduction, no lenses I.S; best lenses apertures and the best and correct exposure within the D.R. of the camera for minimum post-processing; the camera will deliver amazing results; again, IF that is the goal.

Canon deliver amazing colour. Ergonomy is the best. Live view is the best. Menu system is the best. IMMO.

For handheld work; another technique I guess. 

For In Camera Movement, .-) another technique, etc.

At the moment this camera´s only "weakness", comparing to other brands, is a bit lower D.R. The Mark II version, I´m sure will solve this aspect with the new hardware design already implemented inside the 5DIV.

And .-) no AA filter at all; good and bad.

Maybe this isn´t the ideal camera for fast reportage, with máx. pristine detail at the same time, but that´s life.

I wish I could afford both (R & IV), for different jobs, but I can´t. Maybe an R and a M5 ,-) and share the glass.

Sharing the glass is key. When my wife and I got married (many years ago), she was using an elderly Sears-Roebuck 35mm camera. When it crapped out, I asked her what she wanted to replace it. Her very perceptive answer: "One that can use your lenses."

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements