cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5DSR in LiveView 16x magnification, question.

Cunha
Rising Star

Hi,

5DSR users.

I use manual only lenses from Canon and Zeiss with my Canon camera. Manual focus is sometimes an hard task with the Canon MP-E 65mm super macro or the Zeiss Planar 85mm. I was considering a loupe, like a Zacuto Z-finder; for critical focus.

My current camera is the 5D Mark III but I´m considering an upgrade to the 5DSR.

Will this 5DSR unique feature in LiveView; the 16x magnification; avoid the purchase of a loupe?

Thank you very much for all the help.

Regards.

37 REPLIES 37

Here is a example and opinion from a professional photographer; a person I really trust. The camera in the video is a Nikon but he uses Canon and many other cameras:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9OPf-YOMp0

Many other photographers are using a loupe for manual lenses.

It helps the focusing process, cuts glare, etc.

@Cunha wrote:

Here is a example and opinion from a professional photographer; a person I really trust. The camera in the video is a Nikon but he uses Canon and many other cameras:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9OPf-YOMp0

Many other photographers are using a loupe for manual lenses.

It helps the focusing process, cuts glare, etc.

Thanks for the link...now that I see it in the proper context...it makes sense if you are mobile and not on a tripod - you can get a fairly stable view with the loupe - even though I don't find it necessary personally to use a focusing loupe but I can see why someone wants to use it.

To get back to your question...the 16X magnification will be too shaky if you're not on a tripod so my answer would be you can't replace the loupe with the 16X...they are two separate things.  Maybe a cheap 1 or 2X loupe in addition to the liveview magnification can be the answer but I maintain that the 10X is more than enough so if it's just for the focusing, upgrading to a 5DSR is not necessary.  I did learn something new about focusing loupe. Thank you for that. Hank

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

That´s the beauty of a forum. I´m glad you learn something new.

The upgrade isn´t just for the 16x magnification .-) It would be a silly move.

At the moment the 5DIV is a better camera concerning DR, noise, etc.

Even if I need as many megapixels as I can get, maybe I can live with less, but also with less noise and banding problems (but that´s another discussion).

And yes; at 16x it will shake. With my MP-E 65mm at 5:1 it will shake like an earthquake.

The sweet spot is maybe 10x and a less expensive loupe, when needed.

Thanks.

@Cunha wrote:

That´s the beauty of a forum. I´m glad you learn something new.

The upgrade isn´t just for the 16x magnification .-) It would be a silly move.

At the moment the 5DIV is a better camera concerning DR, noise, etc.

Even if I need as many megapixels as I can get, maybe I can live with less, but also with less noise and banding problems (but that´s another discussion).

And yes; at 16x it will shake. With my MP-E 65mm at 5:1 it will shake like an earthquake.

The sweet spot is maybe 10x and a less expensive loupe, when needed.

Thanks.

Shake?  Use a stronger tripod and head.  Off center loads will push any rig to its limits.  I suppose there is little you can do 5:1.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Too little ,-)

Mitsubishiman
Rising Star
I am a 5DsR user, I find the 16x helpful in live view, however it is still a digital zoom and the only problem in giving any advice is I have never used a loupe.
For the record if you love the 5D III make sure you understand the differences between the 5D IV and 5DsR, I love mine but occasionally still use a 7D

Thank you very much for your report.

You find the 16x helpful in LV using manual lenses; correct?

Would you please explain a bit better why you wrote "make sure you understand the differences between the 5D IV and 5DsR, I love mine but occasionally still use a 7D"?

Apart from the specs (megapixels, etc) the main difference I find between the 5DSR and the 5DIV is that the IV has a new generation sensor with a different way of processing the signal (at last) with much better results concerning noise and dynamic range. That´s also very important to me because I´m very tired of noise and banding .-(

Why did you mention the 7D? Smaller files? Number of Pixels for the size sensor?

Thanks.

As far as vibrations go when you are 10x or 16x, I would point out that vibrations are the bane of cinematographers, too.  They are always turning a zoom ring, or a focus ring, while filming or recording.  They use rigs that tend to be extremely stable.

I have switched to using video tripods almost exclusively because of their strength and stability.  But, cinematographers also mount their cameras very differently on their rigs compared to how a typical DSLR user would.  Your typical DSLR camera is attached to a tripod head at one point.  Your typical video camera is frequently mounted on a rail system which can frequently attach to a video head at two points.  One mounting point is under the camera body, and another is under the lens.

Two mounting points provides a MUCH more stable platform compared to one mounting point.  Also, fluid video heads tend to have a large platform, or mounting plate, to accommodate more than one point of attachment.  Food for thought.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Very good points .-) in a good hour, for me, as I´m about to upgrade my tripod/head to improve my results. Thanks.

Mitsubishiman
Rising Star
More to the point that in the development of the 5DsR consideration was given to landscape photographers, the need for multiple shots is less likely where is the MK IV has a faster fps, the 5DsR is not the likely candidate for sports were that is a desirable application, they started calling it a "niche camera" although I disagree with that generality.
I have zero regrets in my choice to purchase the 5DsR, the iso is also higher in the MK IV but that was also not a consideration for my choice of subject, I will point out that with the 5DsR it is imperative to utilize "L Series" lenses, in order to take advantage of the 50 megapixels, I have tried lesser lenses and the outcome was extremely noticeable.
I like the 7D for a walk around camera, think of it like this, if I am just taking pictures generally and extreme quality is not as important (I will take heat for that comment) then it is adequate, if I am concentrating on something that requires a tripod and fine tuning my settings, then my choice is the 5DsR, the high megapixels allow for extremely large prints like 24" plus and aggressive cropping without sacrificing quality, if you are seeking extreme detail like when zooming in on a computer screen, then you need the extra data.
Announcements