cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5DSR in LiveView 16x magnification, question.

Cunha
Rising Star

Hi,

5DSR users.

I use manual only lenses from Canon and Zeiss with my Canon camera. Manual focus is sometimes an hard task with the Canon MP-E 65mm super macro or the Zeiss Planar 85mm. I was considering a loupe, like a Zacuto Z-finder; for critical focus.

My current camera is the 5D Mark III but I´m considering an upgrade to the 5DSR.

Will this 5DSR unique feature in LiveView; the 16x magnification; avoid the purchase of a loupe?

Thank you very much for all the help.

Regards.

37 REPLIES 37

Agree ,-D

Good lenses, especially if they are manual only, last a lifetime .-) like Zeiss and others. Metal and glass.

Just one word about "banding"; the correct word is maybe "posterization". To avoid it one should edit ias much as we need, inside the RAW engine at the highest bit rate. After that, I work with TIFF 16 bits to add some plug-ins effect and that is when I see the problems.

I must avoid plug-ins or at least less heavy use.

But of course good technique is key and higher D.R. will help too.

Thinking again about the 5DsR vs the 5DIV; the IV has a 10x magnification in LV for critical focusing with manual lenses. Not 16x like the sR but, the screen has higher resolution. Could this be better than having 16x magnification?

Of course the Dual Pixel CMOS AF, will do nothing with manual lenses.

@Cunha wrote:

Agree ,-D

Good lenses, especially if they are manual only, last a lifetime .-) like Zeiss and others. Metal and glass.

Just one word about "banding"; the correct word is maybe "posterization". ...

Perhaps. But banding and posterization are two different phenomena that should not be confused with each other.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Help me clarify, please .-)

@Cunha wrote:

Help me clarify, please .-)

I'll try, while not posing as any sort of expert:

banding = visible horizontal strips of contrasting color extending from one edge of the frame to the other.

posterization = overall loss of color differentiation, resulting in patches of solid color where gradations between two or more different colors would be expected.

I suspect that one or more of the others may be able to phrase it more accurately.

Bob

Thanks.

Hardware limitations (sensor/camera signal processing/resolution)?

Use (or abuse) of software (I mean editing)?

@Cunha wrote:

Thanks.

Hardware limitations (sensor/camera signal processing/resolution)?

Use (or abuse) of software (I mean editing)?

I think it's fair to say that banding is invariably the fault of the hardware. But overuse of software can make it worse.

Posterization pretty much has to be due to software abuse, but sometimes the lighting conditions leave you little choice. If you can't just walk away from the picture, you do what you have to do.

Bob

Right .-)

Announcements