Canon Community Canon Community

Esteemed Contributor

Re: 5DSR - Not happy

Most newer lenses are tripod smart. The manual for your lens will tell you.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X, Rebel T5i, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472
Frequent Contributor

I have the camera and I am not experiencing any of your issues, although I have not taken many macro shots, ordinarily I have had exceptional results, I have 6 different L series lenses but not your model
VIP

"The camera is 1 month old and hase the latest v1.1.1 firmware on it."

One of two, your choice.  Return it or send it to Canon service. It is under warranty.

A lot less stuff for 2018 but still a lot of Canon stuff. Along with, a lot of other stuff.
New Contributor

Hi was following the post.. I am new to this forum .. Based in Cork, Ireland.  I have a 5dsr, for about two years now.  I have been happy with it, although sometimes some issues with not turning on, or locking up.. I mainly ignored these..  Yesterday out for a landscape shoot in Ballycotton, East Cork.. Go there and  ( Im sure others have done this.. ? ), realised no media with me.. I had swapped at the last moment, before leaving from my 5d Mk3, to deciding to bring the DSR.... So I put the camera in the bag and headed to a nearby Phamacy to buy a little SD Card.. When I got back to the shoot location.. after a coffee and chill out.. I opened the camera bag and noticed that the Red busy, writing light was on.. The camera hot etc.. ( i had not switched off, but being lazy left the camera to do so.... )  Then when powered up the camera again with the new card, I found that the screen had vertical lines , grey ones running up the screen from botton to top, ,mainly on the left side of the LCD..  I fear that the overheating and red light on' issue caused this.... Has anyone else had this.. I suspect it is going to be expensive. Sensor is fine, but LCD....... !!!!!  Andy, Cork Ireland..

Esteemed Contributor

@AJPhotographywrote:

Hi was following the post.. I am new to this forum .. Based in Cork, Ireland.  I have a 5dsr, for about two years now.  I have been happy with it, although sometimes some issues with not turning on, or locking up.. I mainly ignored these..  Yesterday out for a landscape shoot in Ballycotton, East Cork.. Go there and  ( Im sure others have done this.. ? ), realised no media with me.. I had swapped at the last moment, before leaving from my 5d Mk3, to deciding to bring the DSR.... So I put the camera in the bag and headed to a nearby Phamacy to buy a little SD Card.. When I got back to the shoot location.. after a coffee and chill out.. I opened the camera bag and noticed that the Red busy, writing light was on.. The camera hot etc.. ( i had not switched off, but being lazy left the camera to do so.... )  Then when powered up the camera again with the new card, I found that the screen had vertical lines , grey ones running up the screen from botton to top, ,mainly on the left side of the LCD..  I fear that the overheating and red light on' issue caused this.... Has anyone else had this.. I suspect it is going to be expensive. Sensor is fine, but LCD....... !!!!!  Andy, Cork Ireland..

What is a "little SD card" in this context? If it's a micro-SD (like for a cell phone) with adapter, maybe that's the source of the problem. Such a rig is supposed to work, but we've heard of cases where it caused problems (usually just data corruption, but you never know).

More broadly, it would seem that the camera, being already on, thought it was supposed to do something with the card and got overheated while trying to do it. Any way you look at it, it needs to go back to a Canon shop for evaluation. Any DIY action is likely to make matters worse.

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA
New Contributor

Hi Bob .  Thanks for the reply... My term little SD card was perhaps misleading.  From a personal point of view I rarely use the SD card .  I am well aware that they are very stable etc.. but normally use CF cards.. So apologise for the confusion :-).. Inthis case it was  a standard size SD card..   The camera had no card in it and for some reason when I put it back in the bag decided to get busy '  until I went back to it about an hour later..   It will of course have to go back to Canon, in my Case, to Dublin... Thanks again for the response Bob...    Andy, Cork, ROI.  

Frequent Contributor

I have similar issue with my 5Ds. I tripple checked the date time settings are correct, however, when import the photos into lightroom CC, it would show a different time. Driving my crazy on this! Have no idea what causing this. And yes I have trippled checked the data time setting on my iMAC is accurate.

Esteemed Contributor

Which date are you refering to - the import date or the metadata date?

How far off are the dates?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X, Rebel T5i, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472