cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5DSR - Not happy

Wurzel555
Apprentice

Hi Guys,

I recently bought a 5DSR specifically for macro photos of bugs and studio portrait stuff due to the resolution and cropping capability.

However I have a few issues with it that I would like advice on before I either return the camera or contact support to see if it is defective.

I am not overly impessed with the picture quality in comparison to my 6D.

I used the 5DSR in a studio with the same lens as I did with my 6D and the same lighting system and when I zoom in the pictures are nowhere near as sharp as with the 6D, with the 6D I can zoom in and see hairs and pores on the skin with the 5dSR things are out of focus.

Secondly when uploading the pics to my PC using the USB 3 cable supplied, it gets half way through the upload and then the camera crashes with an error telling me to remove the battery, just using the power switch doesn't work you need to remove the battery. this only happens when copying CR2, it will get so far then crash once I work out which CR2 it is causing the issue I can restart the camera and select the next one and copying continues.

At first I thought it might be a dodgy CF card but the .jpg files all copy, it is only the CR2 that crashes the camera.

Also everytime I have this error and remove the battery I have to reset the date and time of the camera.

Lastly I took some photos yesterday then uploaded to the PC, formatted both cards in the camera and then took a few more photos, when I went to upload them, the PC said did I want to overwrite the existing photo, the camera even though it was set to continuous numbering had reused some previous image numbers.

The camera is 1 month old and hase the latest v1.1.1 firmware on it.

Lens was Canon USM IS L F4.0  24-105

Has anyone else experienced these issues? is my camera defective or is this just a trait of the this model?

Cheers

Steve

17 REPLIES 17

ScottyP
Authority

Have you checked to see if the camera needs AFMA with your lens?

I can't really say much about uploading photos by wire as I always use a card reader and just take the card out and plug it into the reader. Needs no camera battery and no involvement with the camera's processor or software, so not much can go wrong. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the reply, I will have to look into that when I get home from work, however it does look like a rather daunting task to carry out 😄

Steve

@Wurzel555 wrote:
Hi Scott,

Thanks for the reply, I will have to look into that when I get home from work, however it does look like a rather daunting task to carry out 😄

Steve

Setting AFMA is as daunting as you allow it to be. In this forum and elsewhere you will be told how to do it with preprinted patterns, a tripod, a tape measure, special lighting, and finicky attention to detail. But if you accept that it's an iterative process, you can do it much more simply and easily. All you need is a scene containing objects at different distances. Set the focus point on an object about halfway out, and take pictures at several AFMA setting. Pick the setting at which the target object is in sharpest focus, and take another series of pictures with AFMA settings centered around the one that gave the sharpest focus previously. Repeat as necessary.

Some cameras will let you enter two AFMA settings, one for each end of the lens's zoom range. Take advantage of that if your camera allows it, because it gives you increased accuracy.

You do want to use a fairly high shutter speed, because you don't want motion blur to be mistaken for lack of focus. But if you do your tests outdoors on a sunny day, you shouldn't need a tripod unless you're testing a very long lens.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Losing the date setting when you remove battery sounds like there is a camera problem. All Canon cameras I have had either have an internal battery or a replaceable coin battery to hold settings when battery is removed. 

Does the reset occur when you remove main battery for charging/replace t or only when camera crashes?

What is image quality if you focus via Live View?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hi John,

I am pretty sure it is only after the crash but will check later, same with live view and focusing, I have not used it yet.

Steve

Live View would confirm/eliminate an AF system problem since LV focuses right on the sensor. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

If shooting from a tripod, would this be a case where you want make sure that IS is turned off?

@BurnUnit wrote:

If shooting from a tripod, would this be a case where you want make sure that IS is turned off?

It probably wouldn't matter, but I think I'd turn it off.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I have similar issue with my 5Ds. I tripple checked the date time settings are correct, however, when import the photos into lightroom CC, it would show a different time. Driving my crazy on this! Have no idea what causing this. And yes I have trippled checked the data time setting on my iMAC is accurate.

Announcements