cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5DMk3 With vintage Pentax Lenses

ZakCreative
Apprentice

Hey Everybody!  I'm new to the forums and to DSLR Photography and Videography in general, though I do have a background in film making.  I acquired a 5D Mark 3 last year and am really happy with it so far.

Here's my question:  Are there any tips or tricks to getting old manual lenses to work on the Mark 3?  I bought a cheap PK-EF adapter on Ebay to get my Dad's old ME Super lenses to fit and they do, but anytime I take a picture, the camera will give me an error message, and it gives me the same error message anytime I try to switch to video.  I did have some success I guess, as I was able to get partial images, as if the top half of the sensor was exposed.  Any suggestions?

22 REPLIES 22

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Hard isn't it?

I am not telling which is which so you must decide for your selves. I have shown this comparison to many people and around half to a little more get it correct. Maybe they are guessing?

VERY interesting indeed!

What exact scanner did you use to scan the film? That's a major factor (in terms of resolution and colors)

Thanks!

HD Cam Team
Group of photographers and filmmakers using Canon cameras for serious purposes.
www.hdcamteam.com | www.twitter.com/HDCamTeam | www.facebook.com/HDCamTeam

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The scanner is a Canon 9000F. It comes with a slide and a negative carrier. It also comes with software to correct for the orange mask used in film negatives.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The main thing to take here is the factor of, "How are you going to use your photos?"

It is possible to use older Pentex or FD lens but to what advantage?

Do they do something that is better, easier, faster, cheaper or is it just fun? In my case,  I have a 600mm f4.5 FD lens that I would love to use on my EOS bodies.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements