cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5DMKIII In camera Lens correction plus LR4 lens correction... double dip?

larrybgordon
Apprentice

The 5DMKIII has in-camera lens correction capability. In my case I have made certain the profiles are loaded for the 24-105mm F4 and the 50mm 1.8 lens.

Adobe LR version 4 has the option in the 'Develop' mode to use 'Lens Correction' for distortion and vignetting. The feature is manf/lens specific and I can select my Canon 24-105 and 50mm lens from the listing. If this feature is used in post production how does it interface with the on-board lens correction already accomplished by the 5DMKIII when the photo is taken? Should I defer from using the Adobe LR lens correction?

Thanks.

Larry

6 REPLIES 6

cicopo
Elite

Any time I run into something like this I do it both ways & compare the results. I'd shoot the exact same shot with in camera processing turned off, then turn it on (take a few shots each way) & then run them through my software (i don't use LR however) & compare the final product carefully. A bit of time experimenting is always a worthy way to find out what works best for you. Compared to what it took when we had to process & print film to see a test result it's just so easy to do now that I'm always experimenting.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thanks for the comment/recommendation. Since LR is all about 'presets' that automatically perform desired repetitive actions I just need to determine whether to include the LR lens correction in the preset or not... will run some tests as you suggested.

Thx again.

Don't forget to let the rest of us know the results.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

schmegg
Enthusiast

The in-camera lens corrections don't effect the raw data (of ocurse). If you use Lightroom as your raw converter then you'll need to do your lens correction within LR. 

hsbn
Whiz

In camera lens correction doesn't apply to RAW. Only DPP software from Canon can read it off your RAW file. If you use Lightroom, your RAW file will not have any lens correction applied so you'll have turn on LR lens correction. But I suggest you don't turn this on by defaul because it will slow down your LR significantly. You should only enable it near the end of your workflow.

If you only take photo in JPG then in-camera-lens correction has been applied to your photo. Lightroom lens correction by defaul only works with RAW file. So you don't have to worry about double-dip.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

It has been my experience to make the LR4 presets do as little as you need. But to have more of them. Then you can decide on which ones to apply instead of trying to have a "one fix all" preset.

Lens correction would be one that I would use alone instead of embedded in a more complicated preset.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements