cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D mark IV - AEB Issue (when in manual mode)

tangaroa
Contributor

Hi,

I have an issue with my 5D mark IV when shooting in manual mode. When I bracket shots in manual mode, the camera brackets by changing aperture rather than exposure time, which is extremely odd. The camera brackets normally (by adjusting exposure time) when in aperture priority mode. It's a problem since I shoot manual most of the time. I've tried resetting the camera (as best you can), but to no avail.

It's had this problem since new. I'd put off dealing with it as I was hoping a firmware update might rectify it, but having upgraded to v1.0.4 recently, I was sorely disappointed.

Having Googled the problem, I know of at least one other person who is experiencing the same (as yet unresolved) problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be the problem? 

PS. My nearest service centre is 800 miles away, so popping by there isn't so convenient. 

22 REPLIES 22

Many thanks for your responses @Waddizzle ... much appreciated. When shooting in manual mode I use:

1. Manual focus (I only use TS lenses anyway)
  2. Manual metering (I use an off-camera meter because the in-camera metering is inaccurate when the lens is shifted)
  3. Fixed aperture
  4. Fixed ISO
  5. Fixed WB
  6. Fixed base shutter speed (zero EV)

The only thing I need to be automatic is AEB, and when using AEB, I expect the camera to adjust shutter speed only to achieve (-2, -1, 0, +1, +2) EV exposures. My 5D mark III does this nicely, as did all previous generations of 5D and even earlier cameras (D30, D60 etc).

My camera doesn't do that. It automatically changes aperture to bracket exposure, not shutter speed.

I'm at a loss why this seems to be such an issue with my particular 5D mark IV, since most other users report the camera working as it should. I've only found three other people with the same issue as me. There might be very few of us, but it's no less of an issue.

After many frustrating months, I have to say, in the end, Canon UK have been really quite helpful today.

It seems there are some photographers out there that do want to bracket aperture (as well as shutter speed and/or ISO), though I can't imagine why.

If within Custom Functions, you have configured the 'Main Dial' (highlighted yellow) to control aperture (as I have), then the camera will bracket using aperture. If you leave it at it's default setting controlling shutter speed, it will bracket using shutter speed.

It's very late where I am right now, so I haven't actually got round to testing this, but I am confident this is the solution. I will report back accordingly tomorrow.

Thanks all once again for your assistance.

5dmk4.jpg

Thank you!   Works like a charm.

Yup ... that did the trick!

FullSizeRender.jpg.jpeg

Hi Luke, 

I've had my CF set to this and it seems to be working now. I thought I recalled it wasn't when you initially contacted me last month. Maybe the firmware update 1.0.4 fixed it?

Hi John,

I can assure you it wasn't the firmware update that 'fixed' it. One of the reasons I persevered for so long, was in the hope that new firmware would fix the issue. But after flashing to v1.0.4, the 'problem' remained.

Sorted now though. Just a pity the user manual doesn't spell out the consequences of swapping over the dials.

I still don't know what I did since the problem arose to make it work properly now?

Thank you. That fixed the issue!

THANK YOU!!! I have been puzzled by this for many many months!!!

I have the same issue.   I checked all the settings and they are identical to my can 7D Mark II but the 5D changes the aperture instead of shutter speed when on manual bracketing!

Announcements