cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark IV video file size too big

Jwattsy
Apprentice

Why does the 5d Mark IV create larger file size than its predecessor at same fps/res? any solutions beyond switching from ALL-I to IPB? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jwattsy
Apprentice
I believe the issue has been resolved. The second cam op was using SD cards instead of CF when I thought we were both on CF - so two totally different write speeds.

Total record time is very similar from mark iii to mark iv

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Jwattsy wrote:

Why does the 5d Mark IV create larger file size than its predecessor at same fps/res? any solutions beyond switching from ALL-I to IPB? 

Are you shooting 4K video instead of 1080P?

No Sir, it's set .mov "FHD 23.98" which the manual says is "full HD" or 1080p.  4K files sizes are even bigger (7min on a 32gb card - which was to be expected).  

How big of a difference in file size are you seeing? Are you shooting with mono sound on one camera and stereo on the other, or using an external mic? Are you shooting the same subject matter with both? Still images will make bigger files when shooting a scene with more detail or color, or color gradations. I would think video would act similarly.

Jwattsy
Apprentice
I believe the issue has been resolved. The second cam op was using SD cards instead of CF when I thought we were both on CF - so two totally different write speeds.

Total record time is very similar from mark iii to mark iv
Announcements