cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark IV touch focus doesn't work for stills in live mode if you set back button focus

cpanddp
Contributor

Very annoyed that touch screen focus in live view does not work if you set back button focus. It does however work in video mode. Have to go back into custom controls and remove the back button focus to enabe touchscreen focus which is ridiculous.

Cannon please fix this engineering oversight in a new firmware release. Many of us use back button focus.

18 REPLIES 18

Tim
Authority

Hello cpanddp, 

With regards to the back button auto focusing on your EOS 5D Mark IV, we  have additional questions that we'd like to ask so that ourselves or the community may better assist you. 

-  Which button do you have set in Custom Controls for the back button auto focus?  

-  Whichever button you have set, does the AF ON button work in conjunction with touch AF?  

-  Are you attempting to touch AF whilst the camera has already locked onto focus?

Your responses will help clarify this issue for the community.  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I poosted a response

With regards to the back button auto focusing on your EOS 5D Mark IV, we  have additional questions that we'd like to ask so that ourselves or the community may better assist you. 

-  Which button do you have set in Custom Controls for the back button auto focus?

AE Lock *  set in custom controls to AF (back button focus)

All others set to  default

-  Whichever button you have set, does the AF ON button work in conjunction with touch AF?  

AF ON button by defaut is set to AF and works but touch screen focus does not in Live View mode

-  Are you attempting to touch AF whilst the camera has already locked onto focus?

No. I even put lens out of focus and will not focus in Live View through touch screen

All you need do is set the AE lock * to AF and touch screen focus no longer works in Live View mode. Even CPS in NJ duplucated and said they would report it. It is quite easy to replicate.

Tim,

Thanks for looking into this...answers below.

AE Lock *  set in custom controls to AF (back button focus)

Shutter button half press set to meter only

All others set to  default

AF ON button by defaut is set to AF and works but touch screen focus does not in Live View mode

No. I even put lens out of focus and will not focus in Live View through touch screen when back button focus enabled

All you need do is set the AE lock * to AF and the shutter half press to meter only and touch screen focus no longer works in Live View mode. Even CPS in NJ duplucated and said they would report it. It is quite easy to replicate.

Just an additional note...if I leave the half shutter press set to AF in addition to enabling AE Lock * back button focus, the screen touch focus works but it defeats the pupose of back button focus when not  in Live View mode as I only want the shutter half press to meter.

eslamvet
Contributor
My 5D Mark4 also doesn't focus in live mode when shooting through smart phone or PC. Now I knew how to fix that. I had returned AF-ON button to its default and it works properly which is disappointing. I thought that my camera was malfunctioned and I was planning to visit canon service center to fix it. It looks design issue. I hope that Canon works on it.
I really don't know whether it is fixed in the new frimware or not.

I have the same problem, which may be related to OP's issue.  

The phone app won't focus (so is unusable as remote control) until you assign AF ON to its default action. If that button is set to any other custom assignation (I set it to switch between AI SERVO and ONE SHOT) you can't focus.  This makes no sense since using live view on the camera itself still works ok, so it should work via the app.

(As an aside, the remote should also be capable of operating the camera in normal non-live mode I.e. As a remote shutter release. But it isn't. Can we have the software upgraded please?)

@eslamvet wrote:
My 5D Mark4 also doesn't focus in live mode when shooting through smart phone or PC. Now I knew how to fix that. I had returned AF-ON button to its default and it works properly which is disappointing. I thought that my camera was malfunctioned and I was planning to visit canon service center to fix it. It looks design issue. I hope that Canon works on it.

It may not be fixable in firmware. It sounds as though the remote software assumes that the AF-ON button is set to its default functionality. It may require a firmware change to allow the phone or PC to ascertain the true state of affairs, but the remote software itself would have to be changed in any case.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@eslamvet wrote:

It seems to me that the simplest solution is to create and save a custom shooting mode for tethered shooting.  

I have two, or three, custom shooting modes in my cameras.  I use them as shortcuts to make several changes at once.  I have one for One Shot AF with the center AF point, and BBF enabled.  I have another mode for AI Servo AF shooting with different AF point selection, and no BBF.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Jnkengfack
Apprentice

Hi I don't know if you mean the same but I had a similar annoying problem and struggled for hours to fix it. I finally figured it out. Go to this menu setting in the picture below, open "Multi function lock" setting and disable all the options within. I hope this fix your problem too.

5D mk iv.jpeg

Announcements