cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark IV, no shot to shot delay in auto mode, but why in Av and Tv modes?

farhaan
Contributor

Hello all

when I try to take photos on auto mode then I am able to take as much photos as I want without any delay, I mean each time I release the shutter button and press it again all the way down, camera takes the photo on auto mode.

if I change to Av or Tv...then keeping all the settings same, i.e. shutter speed, aperture, iso, exposure.....after taking 1st photo, camera shows BUSY flashing in viewfinder as well as top display and after 1 to 3 seconds it disappears and then I m able to take the 2nd shot.

I heave searched online and couldn't find an answer to this. why I am not able to snap in as much photos as I want keeping all the settings same in Av or Tv modes...but in auto mode I am able to snap as much as I want without any delay......i am not talking about continous or burst shots....in a single shot option.....just keep pressing shutter button and here you go bam bam bam bam bam...

I am using canon eos 5d mark iv with 50mm f/1.8 stm lens. this is my first ever canon camera and first ever dslr also, before that I have been using point and shoot or mirrorless cameras. may be this is how canon camera shoots normally but because I haven't used canon dslr before so may be I don't know about it.

thanks guys.

Never Give Up!
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@farhaan wrote:

sir

obviously i will not be shooting jpegs, but this thing doesnt makes any sense.

yes you are right that auto cancels all special settings but again what is/are those special settings that camera is not allowing me to take shots back to back...instead it starts writing to memory card and until unless it dont finish writing, i couldnt take another shot!

but this doesnt happens in auto mode....no flashing BuSy sign not small red writing red blinking on the edge of memory card door...it just keeps on snapping until unless i dont release the shutter button.

Just because they may not appear in the menus, doesn't mean they are cancelled.  It means you cannot change them.

High_ISO_Noise_AutoMode.JPG

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
See page 210 of your manual. Turn it off and see what happens.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What are your exposure settings?  Try shooting in "P" mode, too, and see if the issue continues.

The camera can have shooting settings, within the shooting modes.  It could be performing long exposure noise reduction, or high ISO noise reduciton, if one or both of those settings are enabled. 

yes same results if shooting in P mode also.
one thing is also true that I have enabled both high iso noise reduction as well as long exposure noise reduction also. let me disable them and then check again to see if results are different.
thank you sir.
Never Give Up!

I have turned off both long exposure noise reduction as well as high iso noise reduction...but still no difference.
after taking one shot, it displays blinking BUSY in the viewfinder as well as top lcd panel and doesn't allow me to take another shot.
however it does autofocus only, but until unless flashing BUSY sign doesn't disappears, it just do the autofocus but doesn't takes the shot.
during this time when BUSY is flashing, I noticed small red led keeps blinking on the edge of memory card door....means its actually writing it on the card...
now I m thinking...instead of putting it in buffer and write later on background, it directly starts writing it on the card. but strangely this doesn't happens in auto mode.
Never Give Up!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

are you shooting JPEG or RAW+JPEG? If so, do you have the correct image options checked?

If yes to the above the camera is editing the file to save the corrected JPEG.

At least that is my understanding.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

for the time being i m shooting jpegs only with maximum Size L settings selected, i have not selected to shoot in RAW, for recording i have selected Auto Switch and primarily it is saving to CF card, sd will be used if cf gets full.

i have checked by selecting SD to save and then move on to CF but same results.

thank you sir.

Never Give Up!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
AUTO cancels the special settings. Do you need to shoot JPEG? With a camera like that I would be shooting RAW. Turn off JPEG and see what happens.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

sir

yes you are right that auto cancels all special settings but again what is/are those special settings that camera is not allowing me to take shots back to back...instead it starts writing to memory card and until unless it dont finish writing, i couldnt take another shot!

but this doesnt happens in auto mode....no flashing BuSy sign not small red writing red blinking on the edge of memory card door...it just keeps on snapping until unless i dont release the shutter button.

Never Give Up!

@farhaan wrote:

sir

Just because they may not appear in the menus, doesn't mean they are cancelled.  It means you cannot change them.

High_ISO_Noise_AutoMode.JPG

@jrhoffman75 wrote:
AUTO cancels the special settings. Do you need to shoot JPEG? With a camera like that I would be shooting RAW. Turn off JPEG and see what happens.

Not all of them.  For example, I think High ISO noise reduction is automatically selected in Basic Modes.  That's why I asked about the exposure settings.

Announcements