Canon Community Canon Community

Frequent Contributor
Accepted Solution

5D Mark IV - changing the filename

[ Edited ]

I'm setting up my defaults on my new camera and trying to change how files are named.

As according to the  instructions when I go to the file name menu I see the unalterable Preset Code (the default this camera uses to name files) and I changed my User setting 1 to how I want my files named.

BUT the manual and options availabe in the menuj are not clearly evident how you tell the camera to use the User setting 1 convention and not the Preset Code. Needless to say my pic filenames are still coming out preceded by the Preset code and not User Settings 1. So what is the magic trick to do this??? (Note- I have sRGB selected so that is not the issue someone else had)

Esteemed Contributor

Re: 5D Mark IV - changing the filename

This is 1D X. I suspect yours will be the same.

2017-08-12 (2).png

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X, Rebel T5i, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the reply John. That is basically what this manual has for instructions but that does not work. I only get the PreSet code to show up in the filenames and no clear way to change it. The fact the 1DX manual says the same thing demonstrates something is missing in these manuals.

Step 5 implies that you can scroll down to the bottom 3 filename possibilities and select which one you want. I cannot do that. I can only scroll on the three naming options but I cannot enter that lower field to select the filename convention I want.

The camera's default was to use the PreSet Code despite that the default for User settings 1 was IMG_ . So where is the control to change which naming convention to select??

Esteemed Contributor

I do it on my 1D X. Are you pressing "SET" button?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X, Rebel T5i, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472
Frequent Contributor

DUUHH yes now I see it. I never went up to the top of the menu and enter that field of options. Thanks for pointing it out.