cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark III Features Question

kbose007
Contributor

I just upgraded my camera from Canon 7D to Canon 5D mark III camera and I like some of its features, such as High ISO noise Reduction, Long Exposure Noise Reduction, Highlight Tone Priority, Auto Light Optimizer, etc. What I couldn't find anywhere in the manual or on the camera itself is which of these features only apply to JPG and which ones apply to both JPG and RAW fimage formats. Can someone please assist?

Thanks,

Kushal.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes for LENR and HTP in Lightroom.

No for the peripheral illum and CA correction. Lightroom has its own built-in corrections. I have never tested to see how they compare with Canon's.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

@jrhoffman75 wrote:
Are you sure about HTP Tim? My understanding is that the sensor response is altered such that the 1s and 0s are affected. Thus there is no flag and neither LR nor DPP know what was done. All they see is a data file. It's not a reversible process.

The way Highlight Tone Priority works is the ISO is shifted one stop (thus no ISO 100 when using HTP) AND a different tone curve is applied when output to JPG.

So the actual RAW data taken at HTP 200 looks the same as the RAW data taken at ISO 100 with negative one exposure compensation. However, the camera and DPP apply a different tone curve to that data, so the histogram of HTP 200 does not look the same as ISO 100 with negative one exposure compensation pushed one stop in post processing. Years ago I personally did test shots that showed that they were different.

So, the tone curve that Lightroom applies to HTP 200 is most likely very close to the tone curve that is applied to in camera JPGs or when processed in DPP, but, probably not identical. Lightroom knows the data is supposed to be processed differently, how differently it is processed really only Adobe knows.

Announcements