cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark II viewfinder digital display issues

dveraz22
Contributor

Hello everyone, 

I have a 5D M2 and have started noticing my viewfinder digital display displaying funky when certain amount of light comes in or adjusting the ISO. For example, the numbers for shutter, apature, and ISO are hard to read. My exposure meter shows three bars instead of one. Again this is when over exposing the images slightly. If I under expose it by bit, viewfinder display works good. 

I have attached a couple of images. 

Has anyone experience this? I'm trying to find out how much i'll be looking at to repair it before i send it to Canon. IMG_20150226_084635.jpg

6 REPLIES 6

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I no longer have my 5D Mk II but as I recall, doesn't it have the auto dim feature?  If yes, this is normal and nothing is wrong.

You can turn that feature on or off but I believe the default is 'on'.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you for the reply, but what is  auto dim feature? i don't think that would affect how the viewfinder digital display works? I'm new to dslrs. 

We really need to ask a current 5D Mk II owner as I sold mine a long while ago.  Maybe it didn't have that feature?  Another thing to check, make sure you have the correct focusing screen selected in the menu.  The wrong one can darken the viewfinder.

EB

Thank you, the issue is not the viewfinder brightness. its more of the digital display on the bottom. 

Yes, that is what will dim.  Especially in dark conditions.  I really think this is normal for a 5D.

EB

I am having the same issue.  I thought I was going blind.  Went to camera shop and owner suggested switching LCD brightness adjustment to "Auto" vs. "Manual."  It seemed to help somewhat.  Indoors, it is fine.....out in the sun, it is still very hard to see in the viewfinder.

Announcements