cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark II Communication Problem

paris0120
Apprentice

Last week I accidentally turned my 24-70 in the wrong direction when I tried to remove it. It probably bent two pins and the two pins never come out again. I think that it is an easy fix but all repair stores say that they have to send it back to canon and ask hundreds of dollars. It is really stupid of Canon to allows a 2.8 L Lens to be able to turn in a wrong direction and mess up cameras. I knew that this would happen one day with that lens and I finally happened. I am wondering if there is anyone who can show me how to replace or fix the part myself.

2017-04-24 08.05.51.jpg  

7 REPLIES 7

ezpop
Rising Star

Send it to Canon repair to have the damaged part replaced. Canon charges a flat rate for repair unless you have to replace an expensive part. Or if you have the skill and won't mind risking a bit. You can find the part online.

sss.jpg

The flat rate I believe is $300... Too much for the camera. I find that there are two screws behind that part and I think that I can open that part and straight the pins. The thing is that I remove all the screws of the metal ring but still can't remove it.

Last I checked (which was only a couple of months back) a 5D II body was selling for around $700-800 range (depending on the body condition, etc.).   The camera is worth more than the $300 (assuming that once fixed it is in otherwise good condition).  Also consider that if you were to replace it, then the likely upgrade would be the 5D III and a used 5D III is listing for $1800-2200 range on KEH.  In other words... $300 for a repair may be the least expensive route to a working camera.

If you knew just what to do and are handy with working on electronics and small delicate parts then I'd say go for it. 

But it's the "knowing just what to do" that's the tricky part...

I can't say that I've ever heard of a request quite like yours.  I suspect finding someone who has done it before and can provide instructions might be difficult.

If this were my own camera... I'd be considering that the $300 price may be the best deal I'd find.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell wrote:

Last I checked (which was only a couple of months back) a 5D II body was selling for around $700-800 range (depending on the body condition, etc.).   The camera is worth more than the $300 (assuming that once fixed it is in otherwise good condition).  Also consider that if you were to replace it, then the likely upgrade would be the 5D III and a used 5D III is listing for $1800-2200 range on KEH.  In other words... $300 for a repair may be the least expensive route to a working camera.

If you knew just what to do and are handy with working on electronics and small delicate parts then I'd say go for it. 

But it's the "knowing just what to do" that's the tricky part...

I can't say that I've ever heard of a request quite like yours.  I suspect finding someone who has done it before and can provide instructions might be difficult.

If this were my own camera... I'd be considering that the $300 price may be the best deal I'd find.

Even if you were to decide that it's time to upgrade to a 5D3 or a 5D4, you might still want to have your 5D2 repaired by Canon instead of doing it yourself. When a camera comes back from a Canon shop, it has usually been checked out pretty well, and that may help you get full value for it when you sell it on the used market. Be sure to ask for the shutter count to be noted on the receipt, because it seems that some buyers put a lot of stock in that.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Feel so disappointed with Canon. I have Canon, Nikon, Sony and Minolta lenses. It is one of my most expensive ones but it is the only lens which can be turned in the wrong direction and doesn't stop at the unmounting gap. Every time I have to remove it by trial and error. They should recall that lens.

I think I will liquidate all my canon stuff and it should be enough to get an a7rii or a9 and one or two GM glasses. I don't see any point upgrading the canon body. The only one I can upgrade to is 5dIII otherwise I have to upgrade all my lenses, but I don't see much difference and a7rii is even cheaper. 

I expect that I can sell it as is for at least $500, so why to bother fixing it myself...

@paris0120 wrote:

Feel so disappointed with Canon. I have Canon, Nikon, Sony and Minolta lenses. It is one of my most expensive ones but it is the only lens which can be turned in the wrong direction and doesn't stop at the unmounting gap. Every time I have to remove it by trial and error. They should recall that lens.

I think I will liquidate all my canon stuff and it should be enough to get an a7rii or a9 and one or two GM glasses. I don't see any point upgrading the canon body. The only one I can upgrade to is 5dIII otherwise I have to upgrade all my lenses, but I don't see much difference and a7rii is even cheaper. 

I expect that I can sell it as is for at least $500, so why to bother fixing it myself...

At least Canon lenses mount and unmount in the expected directions. It's Nikon that does it backwards. (At least that was true of the Nikons I've owned.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Wait wait wait!  You can turn your lens BEYOND the correct distance to un-mount it??!

If so, your lens is literally missing a screw.

Canon's mount design actually does have a stop.  If you mount the lens so that the red dot on the lens aligns with the red dot on the mounting flange, you will find that you can only turn it one way and it will turn roughly 60º and then a locking pin (spring-loaded) will will click into a locking hole.  

To release, you press the release button (which pulls back the locking pin) and you can rotate the lens back the other 60º.  There's a tiny screw in a groove on the lens that will hit a stop and it should not allow you to turn the lens any farther.  At that point the red dots are aligned and the lens can be pulled away from the camera.

If your lens isn't stopping at that position, then the tiny screw is either missing or has been broken off.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements