cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

50D Firmware in Windows 8

dugout63
Apprentice

My 50D is about four years old. Its firmware is 1.0.7 and checked to see if there is a firmware update.

I see there is a new firmware - 1.0.9.

I recently upgraded to Windows 8 yet when I click on the upgrade it informs me there is no firmware for W8. Am I missing something?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi dugout...what we are trying to say is go ahead and click on Windows 7 or something to download the firmware and use it with your Windows 8.  Right now, there's a problem with the Canon website as you found out.  That is very minor though as long as you can still download what you need.  Choose Windows 7 (either 32 or 64 bit) to get the 50D firmware.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

diverhank
Authority

The firmware is independent of your windows operating system as long as you can unzip the file and put it in a CF card (per the instruction) and update the firmware in camera.  You can also use the Canon EOS Utility program but I'd highly recommend against it due to having too many factors that can go wrong, rendering your camera useless.  Either way, your Windows 8 should work just fine.

This is still what I receive when I go to the Canon site to find my firmeware:

About EOS 50D
See Other EOS Digital Cameras
Average Rating
4.6 out of 5
Open Ratings Snapshot

Digital SLR Camera
Item Code: 2807B006

Price reflects camera body only.
  Drivers & Software

Select an Operating System and OS Version from the drop down menu below then click on a category to view the latest supported files for your product. Click on the file description to navigate to download, then click on "I Agree - Begin Download" to start downloading.

Select Operating System 

Windows   Mac OS   Linux        Select OS Version   Select OS Version  Windows Server 2012 (x64)   Windows 8   Windows 8 (x64)   Windows 7   Windows 7 (x64)   Windows Vista   Windows Vista (x64)   Windows XP   Windows XP (x64)   Windows Server 2008   Windows Server 2008 (x64)   Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)   Windows Server 2003   Windows Server 2003 (x64)   Windows Server 2003 R2   Windows Server 2003 R2 (x64)   Windows 2000   Windows NT   Windows Me   Windows 98   Windows 95     Select OS Version  OS X v10.8 Mountain Lion   OS X v10.7 Lion   OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard   OS X v10.5 Leopard   OS X v10.4 Tiger   OS X v10.3 Panther   OS X v10.2 Jaguar   OS X v10.1 Puma   OS X Server   OS X   OS 9   OS 8    Select OS Version  Linux  How to find your OS? 

Show All 

Drivers

Software

Utilities

Firmware

There is no firmware for the OS version you selected.
SDK

You're right, I tried it myself. When selecting Windows 8 in the pull down menu it says there is no firmware available. If select another version of Windows, e.g.. XP, the firmware is suddenly available for download.

J.

All right, Evidently I AM missing something. I have two expert replies to my post yet I still am unable to convince Canon that I have a 50D camera in need of a firmware upgrade because their site tells me there is nothing available for my operating system. My replies tell me that yes, there is no difference - just download it and go. Well, what am I missing?

Hi dugout...what we are trying to say is go ahead and click on Windows 7 or something to download the firmware and use it with your Windows 8.  Right now, there's a problem with the Canon website as you found out.  That is very minor though as long as you can still download what you need.  Choose Windows 7 (either 32 or 64 bit) to get the 50D firmware.

Thanks, diverhank for the info and putting up with my oversight of the availability. All is good.

Mykolas
Authority

Hi dugout63!

Thank you for posting.

Diverhank is correct here.  The firmware file is independent of the version of Windows you have.  You should still be able to download the firmware update file from our website, then extract the firmware and install it by either moving the firmware to a CF card with a card reader or installing it with EOS Utility while the camera is connected.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements