cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

42nd St.Photo and Abe's of Main

jdilger
Apprentice

I am new to this forum and a long time Canon user. I want to buy an EOS 7D Mark II camera and an 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 lens.

42nd Photo has the camera for a $440.00 discount over the local Best Buy and Abe's of Main has the lens for a $350.00 discount over Best Buy. Am I asking for trouble dealing with these 2 companies? Aboout 10 years ago, I was looking for new Canon equipment and every response on the same question said not to do business with these two companies.

Thanks for your help

John Dilger

[Mod Note: Edited personal information per forum guidelines].

11 REPLIES 11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Nope.  If you want a deal on Canon gear, look at the Canon Online Refurbished Store.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/refurbished-eos-digital-slr-cameras

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@jdilger wrote:

I am new to this forum and a long time Canon user. I want to buy an EOS 7D Mark II camera and an 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 lens.

42nd Photo has the camera for a $440.00 discount over the local Best Buy and Abe's of Main has the lens for a $350.00 discount over Best Buy. Am I asking for trouble dealing with these 2 companies? Aboout 10 years ago, I was looking for new Canon equipment and every response on the same question said not to do business with these two companies.

Thanks for your help

John Dilger

[Mod Note: Edited personal information per forum guidelines].

If your spelling is correct, "Abe's of Main" may even be a fake store. The real store is "Abe's of Maine".

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

They are probably "grey market" camera's.

The two places that always get high marks are B&H and Adorama.

@kvbarkley wrote:

I do online shopping for Canon gear in one of two places.  The Canon online store, or B&H.  Never shopped Adorama, mainly because B&H was has a wider selection of accessories, and I am pleased with B&H, and Canon, after the sale service.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@kvbarkley wrote:

I do online shopping for Canon gear in one of two places.  The Canon online store, or B&H.  Never shopped Adorama, mainly because B&H was has a wider selection of accessories, and I am pleased with B&H, and Canon, after the sale service.

Although I usually order from B&H, I have also shopped at Adorama and found them to be prompt and reliable.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"Although I usually order from B&H, I have also shopped at Adorama and found them to be prompt and reliable."

No doubt.  I have just not had reason to order from them, when B&H has the same item, usually for the same price.  My only complaint about Adorama is that they like create way too many bundles on DSLR bodies and lenses, and usually with marginally useful accessories.  

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"42nd Photo has the camera for a $440.00 discount over the local Best Buy and Abe's of Main has the lens for a $350.00 discount over Best Buy."

IMHO, I would avoid doing business with either of those stores and stick with Best Buy.  May be the best $440 you ever spent.

If you do want to buy mail order try one of the very good camera super stores in NY.  

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Regardless of where you decide to purchase your gear... make certain that it is actually an "authorized" Canon dealer.

When I check the list, I do not see either of those places (42nd St. or Abe's) on the list.

You can find Canon's page here:  https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/contactus/where-to-buy/authorized-dealers

There's a link on that page that downloads a PDF of the dealer list and they update it regularly (I think they may update it every month).  If the dealer isn't on the list, don't buy from them.

HYou can do a Google search and for comments & opinions on sellers.  When I do such a search for Abe's of Main, it pulls up an article from 2014 at Canon Price Watch ... explaining that the "old" Abe's of Main (which was a Canon authorized dealer) filed for bankruptcy and the "new" Abe's of Main isn't actually a Canon authorized dealer... and they (Canon Price Watch) regard them as a " bait & swtich" store and recommend you avoid them.  Since they don't appear to be a "authorized" Canon dealer, I suspect they are selling "gray market" gear.

Make sure you know about "gray market" gear.  

Canon imports their gear into the US market for sale at authorized Canon dealers.  If you buy this gear then you get two things... (1) you get the Canon factory warranty (typically 1 year on most products) and (2) even when your gear is out of the warranty period... Canon will service it (it wont be free service since the warranty period has expired, but they'll do repairs.)

Then there's "gray market" gear.  This is gear made by Canon ... but it was not intended for sale in North America and Canon didn't import it.  Instead a 3rd party imported it.  The clue is that gray market gear will sometimes indicate "imported" instead of "USA" in the product description.  

If you buy "gray market" gear, then Canon USA not only doesn't warranty that gear ... they may not even be willing to service it (meaning you can't even pay them to do the repair... they don't want to touch it.)   Some stores claim they have their own service deparment and they provide their own store warranty and store repair service.  But honestly... who would you rather repair your Canon gear if there's an issue?

You'll know you got the real deal (Canon authorized for sale in the USA & Canada) because the serial number will be in three places... #1 on the product itself as you'd expect, #2 on the retail box (Canon puts a sticker on every box with the serial number of the product inside that box), and #3 on the USA & Canon warranty card.   The warranty card is pre-printed with the name & model of the product AND it's individual serial number on the card.  The warranty card will have the words (near the top) printed "CANON U.S.A., INC.   CANON CANADA INC." on the card.    That card wont be found in the box if it's in "import" (gray market) product or was intended for sale outside North America.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Wow lets praise Canon for ripping off US customers.

Announcements