Canon Community Canon Community
 


Reply
Respected Contributor
Posts: 1,723
Registered: ‎02-17-2016

Re: 40D Paralyzed

What digital rebel do you have that takes CF cards?

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 3,344
Registered: ‎06-25-2014

Re: 40D Paralyzed


4twitowski7 wrote:

 

Can't do resets since back LCD screen won't display menu pages.

 


Could you possibly do it remotely via EOS Utility?

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 3,344
Registered: ‎06-25-2014

Re: 40D Paralyzed


kvbarkley wrote:

What digital rebel do you have that takes CF cards?


The XTi does, for one.

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 4,723
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: 40D Paralyzed


RobertTheFat wrote:

4twitowski7 wrote:

 

Can't do resets since back LCD screen won't display menu pages.

 


Could you possibly do it remotely via EOS Utility?


I think the camera has a video output.  Just hook up a monitor, if you can.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Occasional Contributor
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎11-30-2016

Re: 40D Paralyzed

Settings that can be manually/automatically changed which are visible in the top LCD can be seen when changing the mode dial.

 

Nothing can be seen in the back LCD.

 

Use a 512MB CF card in my Digital Rebel/300D.

 

Don't have cables to utilize video out socket.

 

Tad

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 4,723
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: 40D Paralyzed


4twitowski7 wrote:

Settings that can be manually/automatically changed which are visible in the top LCD can be seen when changing the mode dial.

 

Nothing can be seen in the back LCD.

 

Use a 512MB CF card in my Digital Rebel/300D.

 

Don't have cables to utilize video out socket.

 

Tad


Your camera seens in need of service.  Whether the cost of that service is more than what it is worth, or if there is anyone still servicing the camera are entirely another matter.  An upgrade may be your best path.  Some of us have sentimental attachments, which I am guilty of.

 

I just looked at major online retailers [not Amazon or eBay] and a used 40D sells for $200-$250 USD.  Retailers offer 15-30 day guarantees.  The Canon Online Refurbished Store sells current gear at a discoiunt WITH one year warranties.

 

As for new cameras, Canon Rebels range from a few hundred to several hundred dollars.  All of the current Rebel models would be a significant upgrade in both resolution and performance, especially the T6i and T6s.  Another option is the 70D, or even better the 80D.  The least expensive DSLR body currently available is the SL1, which is a fairly small camera, but a DSLR just the same and packed with some of the same features as its' bigger brothers, like a self cleaning image sensor.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 3,344
Registered: ‎06-25-2014

Re: 40D Paralyzed

 


Waddizzle wrote:

4twitowski7 wrote:

Settings that can be manually/automatically changed which are visible in the top LCD can be seen when changing the mode dial.

 

Nothing can be seen in the back LCD.

 

Use a 512MB CF card in my Digital Rebel/300D.

 

Don't have cables to utilize video out socket.

 

Tad


Your camera seens in need of service.  Whether the cost of that service is more than what it is worth, or if there is anyone still servicing the camera are entirely another matter.  An upgrade may be your best path.  Some of us have sentimental attachments, which I am guilty of.

 

I just looked at major online retailers [not Amazon or eBay] and a used 40D sells for $200-$250 USD.  Retailers offer 15-30 day guarantees.  The Canon Online Refurbished Store sells current gear at a discoiunt WITH one year warranties.

 

As for new cameras, Canon Rebels range from a few hundred to several hundred dollars.  All of the current Rebel models would be a significant upgrade in both resolution and performance, especially the T6i and T6s.  Another option is the 70D, or even better the 80D.  The least expensive DSLR body currently available is the SL1, which is a fairly small camera, but a DSLR just the same and packed with some of the same features as its' bigger brothers, like a self cleaning image sensor.


The 70D and 80D, like the 40D but unlike the Rebels, have autofocus microadjustment. I've found that to be an important feature if you're not using "L" lenses.

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA
Super Contributor
Posts: 137
Registered: ‎09-29-2015

Re: 40D Paralyzed

For how long have you owned your 40D ?  Did it work well before and turned bad just recently ? Have you dropped it or used it in the rain.

 

It would be a waste of money to send it to anywhere for repair. You can easily get one locally (depending on where you are) paying from $100 to $150. I paid $60 bought one with blank LCD and bought a LCD part ($10) off the online source and have it fixed in less than 30 minutes.

 

According to your description, it could possibly be a loose cable or a broken LCD.

 

Sell it for parts and buy another one is the way to go if you have no time to DIY repair.

Occasional Contributor
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎11-30-2016

Re: 40D Paralyzed

Similar to lly3988's philosophy, I am trying the DIY route. Do it all the time with antique radios for the fun of it.

 

Bought the body cheap. It was advertised as won't power up. Turned out to be a broken microswitch on the battery compartment. Found a replacement part and got it to power up.

 

Since the camera is pristine inside and out, I'd like to try to fix it.

 

I had seen the exact same symptoms similar to mine mentioned in some older sites, but none of them ever concluded with the description of the actual cause and solution.

 

Tad

 

 

Super Contributor
Posts: 137
Registered: ‎09-29-2015

Re: 40D Paralyzed

hope you find the links useful if you want to try it out.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JEzMmIJ27s

 

http://bryanbzdula.com/blog/?p=85

powered by Lithium

LIKE US on Facebook FOLLOW US on Twitter WATCH US on YouTube CONNECT WITH US on Linkedin WATCH US on Vimeo FOLLOW US on Instagram SHOP CANON at the Canon Online Store
© Canon U.S.A., Inc.   |    Terms of Use   |    Privacy Statement