cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

40D Paralyzed

4twitowski7
Contributor

Have A Canon 40D with the following issues:

Back LCD blank. Tried menu, info, playback buttons.

Pressing shutter part/full results in a 2-3 second busy flashing on top LCD and in viewfinder. Shutter will not take picture. This sequence can be repeated multiple times.

Access light never flashes.

Known good battery gets drained overnight with camera turned off.

Cannot get camera to be recognized by PC.

Have tried the usual different batteries, different cards, overnight no batteries to reset and clean lens contacts to no avail.

Camera does allow settings to be changed, does autofocus and flash pops up.

I have seen the blank LCD/busy flashing referenced before, but have not seen an answer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

27 REPLIES 27

Thanks for the leads.

I've already had the back off and dismantled looking for suspect conditions (loose/broken leads, corroded terminals, etc.). Didn't find anything obvious.

Don't know if the LCD is bad or is some other problem state preventing the LCD from being accessed.

It is really hard to guess. If it is not about loose cables or contact problem and you don't have a LCD assembly to test it out, there is no way to identify the possible cause.

It may also be a bad motherboard or something else.

Try connect via USB to your PC and see if EOS utility can access the menu and if positive, it may very possible that the problem is with the display. (LED)  Then investing a samll $$ (may be $10) to replace the LCD is worth the risk.

Anyway, I have to congratulate you taking the first step in this bold adventurous DIY project.

Good luck.

Have already tried connecting via USB. PC will not activate drive 40D is connected to.

PC does recognize Digital Rebel/300D fine when connected to same port.

Did you ever find out why your D40 died. Mine just did and I purchased a new one but wondered if the D40 was fixable.

Turned out to be a bad main board. After replacement everything is still working fine.

Regards.

Thanks

Hello Abby2017, 

The EOS 40D has reached the end of its service life.  This means Canon can no longer provide repairs, the date service ended was 06/30/2016.  

Since we're unable to service it another option would be the Canon Upgrade Program. The Canon Upgrade Program allows you to replace your non-functioning product. All refurbished equipment offered through this program carries a full one year limited warranty.

If you'd like to take part in the Canon Upgrade Program please call our Pre-Sales and Accessories department at (866) 443-8002 seven days a week, 8am to Midnight.  Please have the serial number of your product at the time of your call.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks I followed some info on a webpage & got it working but in the meantime I had purchased a new camera.I will probably give it to my Grandaughter.

Announcements