cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

40D Paralyzed

4twitowski7
Contributor

Have A Canon 40D with the following issues:

Back LCD blank. Tried menu, info, playback buttons.

Pressing shutter part/full results in a 2-3 second busy flashing on top LCD and in viewfinder. Shutter will not take picture. This sequence can be repeated multiple times.

Access light never flashes.

Known good battery gets drained overnight with camera turned off.

Cannot get camera to be recognized by PC.

Have tried the usual different batteries, different cards, overnight no batteries to reset and clean lens contacts to no avail.

Camera does allow settings to be changed, does autofocus and flash pops up.

I have seen the blank LCD/busy flashing referenced before, but have not seen an answer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

27 REPLIES 27

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Does the camera do all of these things without a lens connected to it?  Try a camera rest, which needs to be done in at least two places. Reset to Factory Settings.  Clear Custom Functions.  Custom buttons have their own reset.

It doesn't sound good for your camera, if you've tried all of the usual remedies.  Make sure your memory card isn't too large, <32GB, or a mini-SD card.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

Does the camera do all of these things without a lens connected to it?  Try a camera rest, which needs to be done in at least two places. Reset to Factory Settings.  Clear Custom Functions.  Custom buttons have their own reset.

It doesn't sound good for your camera, if you've tried all of the usual remedies.  Make sure your memory card isn't too large, <32GB, or a mini-SD card.

I sure wouldn't use a mini-SD card in a 40D, especially if I were trying to debug a problem. The adapter it requires is known to be problematical on almost any camera, and I'm not sure it (the adapter) had even been invented yet when the 40D came out.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

I sure wouldn't use a mini-SD card in a 40D, especially if I were trying to debug a problem. The adapter it requires is known to be problematical on almost any camera, and I'm not sure it (the adapter) had even been invented yet when the 40D came out.

Maybe that came out wrong. 

I wasn't advocating using a mini-SD card, at all.  I've always been against them.  Look inside of any Canon DSLR instruction manual, and it lists the types of SD cards that can be used, and nowhere do you see mini-SD written.

Same problems with or without lens.

Using 512MB CF card.

Can't do resets since back LCD screen won't display menu pages.

Tad

Replace the CR2016 date and time battery.

Paul

Paul ,

Already tried several known good CR2016's.

Tad

@4twitowski7 wrote:

Same problems with or without lens.

Using 512MB CF card.

Can't do resets since back LCD screen won't display menu pages.

Tad

That card should be fine.  But, how old are the cards that you've tried?  I don't know where you can find that size, anymore.  I cannot find anything smaller than 4GB today.

Just picked them up a couple of weeks ago at Staples.

Also tried an older 512MB card. All cards work fine in a Digital Rebel.

Tad

What digital rebel do you have that takes CF cards?

Announcements