cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1d iii won't power up

badchess
Apprentice

I was away on a trip.   The only unusal thing was I had put in an old CF card in it.

Camera worked fine for about a thousand pictures, then stopped working  (no trauma to the camera other than being carried around on my neck).

I assumed that the battery was dead, and thought no more about it.

I got home  (from getting married in Las Vegas!).

I put in my other battery, there was a brief flash of "error..."  (I didn't have time to read it) and all went blank.

Since then I have tried two newish fully charged batteries.
I have replaced the 2025 battery with a new one (after letting the camera sit with no batteries for a half hour).
I have tried to turn the camera on with several different lenses (and no lens).
I have tried to turn the camera on with various SD or CF cards (or no cards).

All displays remain totally blank at all times.

Anything else I can try?

3 REPLIES 3

diverhank
Authority

I'd try removing the lens...try without lens and with a different lens.

It happened to me once with my 5D mark III after I replaced a lens...no powering up at all.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

Sounds like your 10+ year old camera died of old age. A used 1D Mk II replacement can be purchased from KEH or other used camera stores for around $300. Or maybe it's time for an update/upgrade.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I have replaced the 2025 battery with a new one (after letting the camera sit with no batteries for a half hour).
I have tried to turn the camera on with several different lenses (and no lens).
I have tried to turn the camera on with various SD or CF cards (or no cards)."

None of that matters.  The 1D Mk III will work with or without any of that.  It does sound like it gave up the ghost.  There is one thing else you can try.  The 1d3 has a 'keep alive' battery in the battery compartment.  Replace it.  When you do let the 1d3 sit for 30 minutes or so without any batteries installed.  If that battery is dead, sitting may not be needed.  Make sure, be positive, you have a known good working main battery and try to turn it on.

As to repair, I don't think, pretty sure, Canon works on the 1d3 any more.  There is a company that does in the Midwest and if you search for a camera repair shop and use Midwest you should find it no problem.  The mods of this forum will not allow me to help you with a place that can repair your camera if you so desire. On the used market the 1d3 is a great buy.  It is a wonderful camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements