cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1DX Mark II Focusing Screen Fell Out

malbster
Apprentice

I purchased my 1DX Mark II less then a month ago. I have used it less than 10 times. I just took it out of my camera bag to take some photos at home and received Err 20 message. After replacing the battery to no avail I decided to change lenses. When I detached my lens the focusing screen popped open and fell out of the body. It fell less than a foot onto carpet, but there is a noticable scuff on the focusing screen.

How could this possibly happen? I haven't dropped the camera at all and it remains in a beefy camera bag when not in use. I put my 5D Mark III through hell and back and it never had any issues like this. What kind of issues will I run into with this scuff on the focusing screen?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Do not question it.  Simply send it back for a warranty repair.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@malbster wrote:

I purchased my 1DX Mark II less then a month ago. I have used it less than 10 times. I just took it out of my camera bag to take some photos at home and received Err 20 message. After replacing the battery to no avail I decided to change lenses. When I detached my lens the focusing screen popped open and fell out of the body. It fell less than a foot onto carpet, but there is a noticable scuff on the focusing screen.

How could this possibly happen? I haven't dropped the camera at all and it remains in a beefy camera bag when not in use. I put my 5D Mark III through hell and back and it never had any issues like this. What kind of issues will I run into with this scuff on the focusing screen?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Cameras with interchangeable focus screens have a small latch that holds the focus screen up. While it is not impossible for the latch to have come undone on its own, the most likely cause is the latch was bumped sometime while changing lenses. Since you've only had the camera for two months, send it into Canon. If you bought the camera used and it is out of warranty a replacement focus screen is $35 and is easy to install. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I don't have a 1Dx, yet, Smiley Sad but I have shot 1 series for years.  While a focus screen falling out it not common, it does happen.  I doubt there is anything wrong with your camera. But ya never know.  I would just snap it back in place and try it for a while.  Make sure you hear it click.

I change all mine to the grid type screens anyway.

Did you use any non-Canon lens adapter or lens?  That is more likely to cause the screen to fall out then dropping the 1Dx.

If my old brain remembers correctly your 5D Mk III screen can't fall out since it is not user interchangeable.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements