cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1DX MKII best settings for 4K 60 fps filming in doors?

LanceA
Enthusiast

I have my 1DX MKII fitted with a new EF 24-70mm  f/2,8L  II  USM Lense for indoor filming.  Several months back when I first began experimenting with my new camera's indoor video 4K 60fps capabilities, there was MUCH better film quality with far less grain.  As a film novice I am thinking that maybe I have changed settings and created this downgrade in video quality.

Any advice as to how this camera/Lense combination should be properly setup for acquiring the best moderate light indoor 4K videos will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks a bunch.

Lance 

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

No one can tell you what settings to use.  You’re going to have to be the one to mostly figure this one out.  If you are not intimately familiar with the basics of general photography, you will never get the most out your gear.

Compare your settings between then and now.  The most common cause of grainy images is a high ISO setting.  Fast shutter speeds and narrow apertures can drive the need to use high ISO values.

You should always try shooting a still photo before making your video shots, if your camera is stationary.  Not only does this give you an opportunity to measure the amount of available light, it also gives you opportunity to measure the temperature of the ambient light.  

In other words, take shots with a grey card.  I do not know what type of filming that you do, but getting lighting and colors to look the same from shot to shot, scene to scene, day in and day out, should be a high priority with the utmost urgency.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you.  Very good advice.  I have been spending most of my efforts trying to master the fundamentals of still photography using this camera.  I felt it best to also have a basic handle on high resolution filming with this 1DX MKII since it is so equipped.   I performed several direct, 4K 60 fps,  comparisons with the 1DX MKII (and previously mentioned lense) and my wife's new Apple 8 Plus iPhone.   I realize that this is sort of like comparing a bottle rocket (iphone) to a Saturn 5 (1DX MKII), but this is when I realized just HOW out of true balance that my big Canon's color and lighting potentiual actually are.  Even though the Iphone 8 Plus could not compete with the 1DX MKII's resolution/clarity, it's ability to capture everything, light and dark, withing the fild of focus was far more natural.  This is when I was hoping that there was a DEFAULT setting for my big Canon that would at least closely approximate an AUTOMATIC setting via 4K 60 fps. 

Lance   

@LanceA wrote:

Thank you.  Very good advice.  I have been spending most of my efforts trying to master the fundamentals of still photography using this camera.  I felt it best to also have a basic handle on high resolution filming with this 1DX MKII since it is so equipped.   I performed several direct, 4K 60 fps,  comparisons with the 1DX MKII (and previously mentioned lense) and my wife's new Apple 8 Plus iPhone.   I realize that this is sort of like comparing a bottle rocket (iphone) to a Saturn 5 (1DX MKII), but this is when I realized just HOW out of true balance that my big Canon's color and lighting potentiual actually are.  Even though the Iphone 8 Plus could not compete with the 1DX MKII's resolution/clarity, it's ability to capture everything, light and dark, withing the fild of focus was far more natural.  This is when I was hoping that there was a DEFAULT setting for my big Canon that would at least closely approximate an AUTOMATIC setting via 4K 60 fps. 

Lance   

What shooting mode are you using?  The closet shooting mode to "AUTOMATIC" on a 1D series is "P" mode, or program mode.

I much prefer RAW only for stills.  But, I think maybe that "P" mode may be better when filming.  However, I am not sure that "P" mode is available when filming in 4K 60 fps?

Lance

Sometimes it is just stupid easy things that you/I forget about.  In this case my 1DX MKII's FStop remained set at the 4.0 which was used for my Canon 100-400 lense.  Once I reset it to 2.8, then Filming indoors with moderate lighting Quality went up dramatically.  Far less grain and MUCH more visible contrasts.

Lance

@LanceA wrote:

Sometimes it is just stupid easy things that you/I forget about.  In this case my 1DX MKII's FStop remained set at the 4.0 which was used for my Canon 100-400 lense.  Once I reset it to 2.8, then Filming indoors with moderate lighting Quality went up dramatically.  Far less grain and MUCH more visible contrasts.

Lance

That sounds like good news.  If you are not familiar with the " Exposure Triangle ", then I suggest you do a web search for the phrase.  Again, the most common cause for grainy images is high ISO values.  You really do not need a very fast shutter speed for video, either.

Announcements