cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1D MK III Not Turning On/ ERR 99

nuchuga
Apprentice

Hey guys, about a year ago I upgraded to a 5D MK IV and decided to put away my 1D mk III. This morning I decided to take it out and upon taking it out, it would not power on. When switching to on, the camera had absolutely no response. After switching to multiple batteries and lenses, the same result happened however I occasionally got ERR 99. Could the ERR 99 and lack of turning on be because the batteries are just completley dead? I recharged and calibrated them completely. Or, is this a time to say goodbye to my beloved workorse? I already tried the method of cleaning lens contacts, trying different batteries, taking out internal battery and waiting 20 minutes... PLEASE HELP 

Thanks,
Nate

PS: Unlike others ERR 99 where it showed on the rear LCD after (x) amount oh shots, my rear LCD never turned on and only showed ERR 99 on the top LCD for like 1/4 second 

2 REPLIES 2

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

ERR 99 on your Canon camera is simply a general error.   That is the difficulty with troubleshooting the famous ERR 99.  Since it is a general error, it gives you nothing to begin with. 

Try all the basics.  A new battery. A new CF card.  A new lens, etc.  That's all you can do.  Cleaning the contacts probably won't help but do it anyway.

I don't think Canon works on the old 1d3 any longer so you need to find another shop like Midwest Camera Repair.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

My experience with Error 99 is that it's the result of something (usually mechanical) requiring more power (amps) than it's designed to handle so the camera shuts the circuit down & gives the error code. A defective battery can be part of the problem but so can a sticking part like a solenoid type device etc. If you have the AC adapter set up try using it & place the camera in the warm sun to possibly free up something by using the heat from the sun to expand whatever is binding. The AC adapter will eleminate a bad battery as the culprit.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."
Announcements