cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

zoom on eos tebel t4i

tarmwr86
Apprentice
I recently purchased my dream camera a eos rebel t4i, unfortunately I cant seem to be able to figure out how to work the zoom. Can anyone help me learn how it works?
2 REPLIES 2

ScottyP
Authority
Hi, Tarmwr86,

Congratulations on your new camera!

If you are moving from a point-and-shoot camera (one that does not have changeable lenses) to a DSLR like the T4i, there are new things you will need to get used to, including 1.). Shooting looking through the viewfinder (eye piece) instead of using the image on the LCD screen, and 2.). Zooming controls are located on the lens, not on the camera body.

DSLR zoom lenses have rings you twist to zoom in and out. That is how you zoom. Even if you were to enlarge the image you see in the LCD screen in "live view", you would not be making the camera zoom in.

The camera is designed for shooting with your eye to the viewfinder.

A.) There is information displayed in the viewfinder that helps you shoot.
B.) It also works a lot better in bright outdoor light, which can overpower an LCD screen.
C.). Also, the act of holding the camera against your face, with your elbows braced against your body or on something solid, lets you hold the camera much more steady than is possible when holding it out in front of your face like a compact camera.

Read the manual for the camera, and watch free tutorials on the T4i on Google Videos, etc., as well as general educational videos on photography. It takes a little time to get into it, but it is fun.

Good luck!
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Thanks for the info I will give those a try.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements