Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

wide angle lens and panorama

my question is do I use panorama mode withthe wide angle lens? please forgive me I am new and excitedSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: wide angle lens and panorama

@KnitKnack wrote:

my question is do I use panorama mode withthe wide angle lens? please forgive me I am new and excitedSmiley Happy

Generally, I would say no, you do not want to use a wide angle lens for a panoramic shot.  In fact, the Canon application Photostitch does not let you use a lens shorter than 50mm, by default.

I like to use my 70-200mm to shoot landscape panoramas.  But, I roll the camaraderie/lens to portrait mode to do so, and overlap the successive shots by 1/3.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Super Contributor

@Waddizzle wrote:

But, I roll the camaraderie/lens to portrait mode to do so

Wow a "camaraderie lens", now there's one I haven't got Smiley LOL

Occasional Contributor

thanks so much!
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@KnitKnack wrote:

my question is do I use panorama mode with the wide angle lens? please forgive me I am new and excitedSmiley Happy

It doesn't sound like a good idea. Any wide-angle distortion that you get near the edge of the frame could wreak havoc on your ability to match up the constituent images of the panorama.

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA
Occasional Contributor

very nice. Thank You
Honored Contributor

@Ray-uk wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

But, I roll the camaraderie/lens to portrait mode to do so

Wow a "camaraderie lens", now there's one I haven't got Smiley LOL

LOL.  Spell check seems to have a sense of humor.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
VIP

"my question is do I use panorama mode withthe wide angle lens? please forgive me I am new and excited"

You might want to reconsider that "solved solution".  Here is a pano shot with a 16mm lens and assembled in LR.

_DX_3172-Pano.jpg

A lot less stuff for 2018 but still a lot of Canon stuff. Along with, a lot of other stuff.
VIP

Just for grins and giggles here is what the 16mm lens saw by itself.  The pano was 7 shots, BTW.

_DX_3180.jpg

A lot less stuff for 2018 but still a lot of Canon stuff. Along with, a lot of other stuff.
Occasional Contributor

nice