cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trying to upload images from my Canon EOS Rebel XT to my windows version 7 64 bit computer.

eschwinn17
Apprentice

19 REPLIES 19

Tim
Authority

Hi eschwinn 17,  

We're sorry to hear that you aren't able to connect the EOS Rebel XT to your computer to download images. The EOS Digital Rebel XT came out before the release of Windows 7 and regrettably no drivers are available (or required) with that operating system. 

There is a workaround for this as the camera  supports the Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP) driver that is built into all versions of Windows since XP.  This needs to be enabled in order to connect the camera to Windows 7 64 Bit.  

To enable this, first make sure that your camera is disconnected from the computer. Press the MENU button and then use the right arrow key to select the second "Tools" tab in the menu.  Use the down arrow key to select the item labeled "Communication" and then press the SET button.  Use the up arrow key to select "Print/PTP" and then press SET again.  Press the MENU button to exit the menu system.

At this point, you should be able to reconnect the camera to the computer, and the system should recognize it as a digital camera.  You should then be able to use the operating system's built in utilities such as Windows Live Gallery to download your images.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi, I'm trying to employ this fix on my EOS XTi, since I am having the same problem as eschwinn17, but my menu doesn't have the same options. Is there another way that I can enable PTP on my camera, or another way that I can make my computer recognize my camera?

Hi Techdaly,

While you can't manually switch the communications mode on the EOS Rebel XTi, the camera should do so automatically.  Just connect it, then turn it on in the playback mode to transfer your JPEGs to your computer via the Windows Photo Gallery.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi there,

I'm having the same trouble with my XTi.

In fact until now it has always automatically started downloadng images from the camera as soon as I connect with USB and switch on the camera.

However, I tried today for the first time since April, and it will not work.

The screen on the camera says 'BUSY' as usual when I plug it in, but then nothing happens - no window pops up on my PC and downloading does not start.

Has something changed in the last month??

Is my camera broken?

What should I do?

Thanks,

Stephen

There is no driver required for WIndows machines.  It is nice to have two computers around to make sure it is not your computer messing up.

Go to My Computer and see if the XTi shows up there.  Try the XTi on a different computer.  If you see the same status, you may need a new CF card.  Try just the CF card in a card reader.   Make sure the CF card has been formated by the XTi.

Not by any computer.

Reset the XTi back to factory defaults and try again.  You need to do a little Sherlock Holmes work here!  Smiley Happy

Eliminate all possibilities.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I ended up just buying a card reader and using that to surpass all the cable-camera-computer software incompatibility issues. I know I read somewhere else in this process that the Windows 7 64-bit doesn't play nice with uploading this camera because its older, but everything worked fine when I got the card out of the camera and put it through a card reader. From other things I've read around the web this is pretty much the only easy option, unless you want to find some third party software that hijacks the process for you. 

Smiley Happy  Whatever works for you.  I have had to do it that way for years with my older 1D series cameras and they were in the $7000 dollar range so don't feel too bad.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks for your help 🙂

Does this method work for Windows 8.1? I am not finding these options. Please help.

@Tim wrote:

Hi eschwinn 17,  

We're sorry to hear that you aren't able to connect the EOS Rebel XT to your computer to download images. The EOS Digital Rebel XT came out before the release of Windows 7 and regrettably no drivers are available (or required) with that operating system. 

There is a workaround for this as the camera  supports the Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP) driver that is built into all versions of Windows since XP.  This needs to be enabled in order to connect the camera to Windows 7 64 Bit.  

To enable this, first make sure that your camera is disconnected from the computer. Press the MENU button and then use the right arrow key to select the second "Tools" tab in the menu.  Use the down arrow key to select the item labeled "Communication" and then press the SET button.  Use the up arrow key to select "Print/PTP" and then press SET again.  Press the MENU button to exit the menu system.

At this point, you should be able to reconnect the camera to the computer, and the system should recognize it as a digital camera.  You should then be able to use the operating system's built in utilities such as Windows Live Gallery to download your images.

Announcements