cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

this function is not selectable in the current shooting mode

sameersachdeva
Contributor

I am getting "this function is not selectable in the current shooting mode" in basic shooting modes. In advanced modes, I am not able to get any menu / info / live view display. Please help!

I can't remember the setting that fixed the issue (some button / setting combination) the last time.

19 REPLIES 19

Hi,

That's what. I am not able to see any such option in advanced modes esp. Manual mode so that I can clear settings. Before this error, I was able to see the option earlier. Please let me know why menu option is not appearing on screen in advanced modes.

Regards,

Sameer

If you can not see the "Clear all settings" menu at all. Take the camera in for service.  You no other choice.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Hi,

I have submitted my DSLR to the nearest canon service center for checkup. Yet to get update. The only thing they suggested is that not to spend too much money again on this one (I spent good amount for board replacement last year, due to some mositure inside). I might have to go for a new model. Since I have canon and canon compatible lenses, so I might go for 7D Mark II or need to check.

I will keep you posted on the progress.

Thanks!

Sameer

shelly_young
Apprentice

I am new to this and not quite sure any of the answers I'm not sure I see how to fix this issue.  I have a canon rebel t5 eos 1200D.

I am receiving the message that "The function is not selectable in the current shooting mode" in all the automatic, portrait, flash off, creative auto, landscape, close-up, sports, night portrait.  I have not ventured into any of the manual modes but it appears I cannot take shots using these but receive no message. 

I was taking pictures in the automatic setting just fine and then just started receiving this message when I went in to view the pics taken.

Any direction would be great for this novice!

dateatkinnerton
Apprentice

OK so I had the same problem 'This function is not selectable' yesterday on my 100D and followed the posts (or tried to).  First thing - I also couldn't get to the 'clear all' setting as the menu button didn't work on the P, AV, TV etc modes.  I solved this by taking the battery and memory card out, waiting for 2 minutes, and putting them back in.  When the battery goes back in a red light illuminates shortly - like the camera is reinitialising. After this the menu button worked on the P setting, I could find the clear settings and revert to factory settings.  This didn't help the 'This function is not selectable in the current shooting mode' problem though'. In another post someone had recreated the fault by keeping a button pressed that wasn't valid for the 'auto' modes. That got me thinking that a button may be stuck in.  On close inspection, this was the case - the maginify button at the top right.  I have just used a needle to pull the button back out slightly and the 'This function is not selectable message' has gone away.

Hope this helps someone else

If you are in the A (full auto) most selections are not available.  That is correct.  That is the purpose of A.  You must be in one of the other modes like P, Av, or Tv.  Everything is selectable in M mode.

EB

After resetting the camera as suggested here, and still getting the "this function is not selectable.." message in Video mode, we found the AV+- button was stuck. Hit it once to unstuck it, and now we can video again in the simple modes. I doubt that is everyone's problem, but hopefully this helps someone. 

CaptureCanon.JPG

Luisa
Apprentice
Hi,

This might be a dead end, but my camera is having the same problems Sameer, how did you fix your camera?

Move the mode dial off the A or green square. Put it on P and see if the selections are there.  If they are not reset the camera in the tools menu tab.  If that still does not work call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666

EB

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
“This might be a dead end, but my camera is having the same problems Sameer, how did you fix your camera?”

For some types of tasks you must save as JPG.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements