cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

t4i screen shuts off

chief
Rising Star

the screen will shut off fairly often and pressing shutter halfway does not turn it back on.also after taking picture it will appear on screen for second or less and screen will shut off.I have tried replacing with newly charged battery but that does not seem to matter.sometimes you put you eye up to viewfinder and screen will shut down as it is suppose to but when you back away it does not come back on or will shutter halfway turn it back on.It does not do this all the time but enough to be frustrating

18 REPLIES 18

Skirball
Authority

If you press "play" do the images stay on the screen?  If so you probably have it selected to turn off the screen (after the preview) while shooting.  Push the "Info" button to cycle through the options.  Not sure exactly what they are on a T4i, but probally something like (Settings Screen, Histogram, Off,...)  Also, under the settings you can probably choose how long you want the preview to stay up for.

Yes they do I also have image to stay on for 4 seconds as I said before this does not happen all the time also when looking through viewfinder screen shuts off as it is designed to do but screen will not turn back on when you move away from viewfinder once again this does not happen all the time

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

This is a camera setting.  

The "Info" button on the back of the camera decides what to display on the rear LCD.  As you repeatedly press the "Info" button it will toggles between several options -- one option is to have the rear LCD screen go blank (which saves power).

Press the Info button until it displays what you'd like to see (the factory default is to display the shooting information.)

There's also a timer for image review after taking a photo.  You can adjust the timer to decide how long you want the camera to wait while you review the image (you can also just hit the playback button to review images -- and these aren't effected by the review timer.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Tim I think you solved my problem.I have been taking some long exposures of stars moon and space station as it passes over and I probably hit info button in dark when going for menus button we will see thank you kindly

That's weird, I thought Tim said exactly what I did.

Sorry you did say same my bad

Hi,

Though this post is many years old, its still much relevant.
I have same issue on my EOS T4i but the difference is that the camera settings information does not show on the screen even if I change the camera mode. Every other thing gets displayed on the screen. How do I resolve this please? Pressing the info button appears not resolving the issue.

Thanks

eabanks
Apprentice

Hi!  I have a canon rebel t4i and my image preview won't work at all after I take a shot.  I have the review setting set to 4 seconds.  I have reset the factory settings and I have changed the battery.  Nothing is working.  It looks like you had a similiar problem.  Can you tell me how you fixed it.   I can't find the settings that were suggested to you.

I will try on back of camera to left and top of view screen there are 2 buttons one is info the other is menu.The info button is one you want it has 3 settings just press and it takes you to the one you want.My problem is that when you are in darkness the eye sensor always keeps screen light from lighting up, so it does not destroy your night sight.Which is opposite with what happens guring daylight.You put your eve to view finder and the sensor turns off screen, then when you move away it lights back up.Takes a while to get use to it in darkness.Hope this helps.

Announcements