cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

t3 won't take pictures/focus

roonie21
Apprentice

I have a Rebel t3 and it has worked great for about 5 months or so. Today I took it out to take a picture (after only a week in the case), and it wouldn't take the picture. It will capture a picture if I am in MF, but everything is blurry, even when I look through the viewfinder.

I tried taking the battery and SD card out and inserting them back in, taking off the lens and putting it back on, adjusting the focus settings...nothing is working. Nothing was changed on the camera from last time to this time and it doesn't matter where I try to take a picture-it still won't work.

15 REPLIES 15

Jergeno
Apprentice
operly.
Hi,

My Canon T3i Camera shutter button is not working properly. If I press the shutter button it only does Focus adjustment and does not click any picture. If I shut down the camera and then switch on it automatically take picure. Anything I can do to fix this problem

Thanks,

Matte

@Jergeno wrote:
operly.
Hi,

My Canon T3i Camera shutter button is not working properly. If I press the shutter button it only does Focus adjustment and does not click any picture. If I shut down the camera and then switch on it automatically take picure. Anything I can do to fix this problem

Thanks,

Matte

You really should start a new thread for your own issue, instead of hitchhiking onto someone else's thread.  That's just good forum etiquette, not specific to any particular forum.  Someone is now getting emails and alerts about YOUR issue, not their own.

You either need a new memory card, or you have an internal circuit board failure.  Go into the menus and reset the camer back to factory default settings.  This may have to be done in more than location in the menus, if you have any custom button programming set in your camera.

Try powering up the camera without the memory card.  Try it with the camera's shooting mode set to the Green [A] mode.  I would also try a new card.  Stick to full size, major name brand cards.  Never use micro-SD with an adapter.  Be sure to format your memory card in the camera, using the "low level format" option.

If resetting the camera, or using a new, freshly formatted memory card does not fix it, then contact Canon Support.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

munirahasan
Apprentice

hi

i bought my camera yesterday and it worked fine. but now the camera wont shoot photos or focus in auto. and when i press the button the shutter doesnt work. it works when its in manual mode. but when i change the setting to al servo it works perfectly. nut it wont work in one shot setting. what do i do?

@munirahasan wrote:

hi

i bought my camera yesterday and it worked fine. but now the camera wont shoot photos or focus in auto. and when i press the button the shutter doesnt work. it works when its in manual mode. but when i change the setting to al servo it works perfectly. nut it wont work in one shot setting. what do i do?

It could be your shooting mode, and focusing mode to blame.  In One Shot mode, the camera uses focus priority, which means the camera will not fire the shutter until it achieves an autofocus lock. 

DO you see anything flashing in the viewfinder when this happens to you?  

In AI Servo mode, the camera defaults to shutter priority mode, which means it will not wait for an autofocus lock to fire the shutter.  Of course, switching to manual mode means the camera is not trying to use autofocus at all, and so it simply fires the shutter whenever you press it all the way.

There are a variety of reasons why you may not be able to achieve an autofocus lock in One Shot mode.  The most common reasons are probably not enough light for the camera to focus, being too close to the subject, and not having enough contrast under the active AF point.

If you set the camera to Green [A] mode, and go outside on a bright sunny day, it should fire the shutter.  If it does, then, without changing the settings, try to photograph whatever is giving you trouble.  If the camera wants to raise the flash, let it do so.

If you see a flashing icon in the viewfinder, then the camera is trying to alert you that something is not correctly.  For example, you should see the shutter speed display flash when you have insufficient light.

what the problem is the shutter speed on the screen displays as blank. i dont understand whether its my camera's problem or did i press something i shouldnt have. i click the button to take a photo the LCD screen blacks out and doesnt take any photo

@munirahasan wrote:
what the problem is the shutter speed on the screen displays as blank. i dont understand whether its my camera's problem or did i press something i shouldnt have. i click the button to take a photo the LCD screen blacks out and doesnt take any photo

You have not stated what shooting mode you're using, but it sounds like you're using Live View, as if your camera were a cell phone.  Use the viewfinder.  You will take sharper photos, and viewfinder display will tell the camera's status.

Like I said, try taking photos in Green [A] mode, outdoors in the bright sunlight.  Use the viewfinder.  If all else fails, you can also try using the menu selection that resets the camera to factory defaults.

Announcements