cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

searching for a new lens

iphonemaster93
Rising Star

Hey guys 🙂

So I've saved up some money and I want to purchase a lot of things but getting another lens is definitely one of my priorities. I already have the standard 18-55mm kit lens as well as a 50mm 1.4 but I want something that will allow me to zoom in even further than the kit lens but also have a wide enough aperture. Or I'd like to get a wide angle lens (not a fisheye though, purchased a fisheye lens off a good friend and it definitely wasn't the lens I was looking for but he gave me an awesome deal) and still have a wide aperture (at least 4.5, if not wider). Any suggestions? Not trying to hit triple digit numbers in terms of cost as I haven't saved up that much yet but I just want something else to play around with. Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

ScottyP
Authority
For wide angle on a crop body, you want something like a 10-22. Or 10-20 etc..... There is the Canon EF-s 10-22 which is great, and also offerings from Sigma and the others.

For the long lens you could go several ways. One great way would be a big white. The Canon 70-200 f/4 can be found cheaply. No IS but beautiful fantastic image quality. And as mentioned a big white well under $1000. THAT IS A STEAL. Or spend up to about $1100 and get the version with IS.

The other way is a black, non-L 70-300 f/4-5.6 variable aperture lens. It is ok image quality. Do not confuse with the 75-300 which is a poor quality lens.

Also an option is the 55-250 zoom offered as a kit lens with some Rebels. It is the one you can find for sale in stock at Target, WalMart and Best Buy. It will do the job.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Not trying to hit triple digit numbers ..."

What?  There is no Canon lens that isn't "triple digit" numbers.  Or did you mean triple zeros after the number? 

EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS STM <--- click here  This is a good buy for you as it fits right with what you already have.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Canon 70-200 f/4L. Non IS. $609.00 after rebate.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/183198-USA/Canon_2578A002_EF_70_200mm_f_4L_USM.html/SUB/cpw
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

iphonemaster93
Rising Star

thanks for all the info guys. I actually asked one of my good friends as well (he does wedding photography and such) and after considering everything, I eventually went with a 17-55mm 2.8. It was pretty pricey for how much my income is right now but it was well worth the price. Cheers! 

@iphonemaster93 wrote:

thanks for all the info guys. I actually asked one of my good friends as well (he does wedding photography and such) and after considering everything, I eventually went with a 17-55mm 2.8. It was pretty pricey for how much my income is right now but it was well worth the price. Cheers! 

I think your friend gave you good advice. My wife and I each have that lens, and we've gotten very good results with it. Happy shooting!

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Yeah I've had some time to play with it, I definitely like this way better than the kit lens. I actually used it at my work today, it gets a little heavy as the time goes on but it's really good for dimly light places 😄

@iphonemaster93 wrote:

Yeah I've had some time to play with it, I definitely like this way better than the kit lens. I actually used it at my work today, it gets a little heavy as the time goes on but it's really good for dimly light places 😄

Don't try to use it with the camera's built-in flash, though. It's large enough to cast a very disruptive shadow.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements