cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T5 "Card cannot be accessed. Reinsert/change card or format card

danielle4
Apprentice

I just got this error on my T5. When I try to take a picture, it says: "Card cannot be accessed.  Reinsert/change card or format card with camera." re-inserted but no luck.

So, I try to format the card from the camera menu settings, and it says "Cannot format.  Change card."

I even tried re-formatting the cards on my computer, but still no luck. the card works on other cameras, so it's not the card.

I have used  this card in the camera before and never had a problem, this just happened all of the sudden.

PLease help. My camera is only 4 months old.

22 REPLIES 22

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@danielle4 wrote:

I just got this error on my T5. When I try to take a picture, it says: "Card cannot be accessed.  Reinsert/change card or format card with camera." re-inserted but no luck.

So, I try to format the card from the camera menu settings, and it says "Cannot format.  Change card."

I even tried re-formatting the cards on my computer, but still no luck. the card works on other cameras, so it's not the card.

I have used  this card in the camera before and never had a problem, this just happened all of the sudden.

PLease help. My camera is only 4 months old.

Cards can, and do, fail, usually without warning.  What is the memory size of the card?  Is it a mini-card with an adapter?  If you say that the you cannot format the card on your computer, then that strongly suggests the card is bad, or corrupted. 

My T5 doesn't like cards over 32GB.  My T5 doesn't like miniature cards inside of adapters, either.  The fact that the card doesn't work in your camera, but does in others is totally meaningless.  Different cameras can use different formatting and file systems on their memory cards. 

BTW, make sure the card isn't write protected, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

the card is a 32GB sdHC. I did format it on my computer using the FAT32 file setting. it took a  long time but it formatted. still can't use it in camera though. card is not write protected.

@danielle4 wrote:

the card is a 32GB sdHC. I did format it on my computer using the FAT32 file setting. it took a  long time but it formatted. still can't use it in camera though. card is not write protected.

After fiormatting in the computer, you would still need to perform a format in the camera to set up the default folders.  At this point do not perform a low level format in the camera, because the computer has already done that for you.

However, if it took an unusually long time to format the card on the computer, the card could be bad, and on it's last leg.  How much free space does the computer report is available.  I say try a new card, from a different brand.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Todd1
Apprentice
I had the same problem with a canon t5i that wouldn't recognize any sd card nor would it format any sd card. Got in touch with canon support and was told to send it in for repair at a cost of $190. Decided to diagnose myself and found one of the pins inside the camera card slot was not making contact with the sd card when it was inserted. Used a small flashlight, reading glasses and a bobby pin and bent the camera pin down just a little. Reinserted sd card and it worked

I ran into this same problem today with my 70D. I've had the card read error intermittently for a few months and popping the card out then reinserting it always fixed it. My solution was easier. I cleaned the contacts on the card!

To people from the future, this was the hint I needed. The cards themselves were all fine, but I blew into the card port like an NES cartridge and it remedied my issue. Suddenly the camera could read my cards. 

Dfincham84
Apprentice
How did you get the bobby pin to grab on?

Dfincham84
Apprentice
To the pin I mean

Tanzi
Apprentice

same to

Announcements