cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nomenclature

StanC
Contributor

What does the "I" stand for in EOS Rebel T5i?

StanC

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ScottyP
Authority

I don't think it stands for anything.  It is just there to distinguish between the bottom rung models like the T5 and T6 from the more full-featured models like T5i and T6i.  

For example, the T6 has an 18MP sensor and uses a Digic 4 processor.  The T6i has a 24.4MP sensor and uses a Digic 6 processor.  The T6i has more controls to work with and has better autofocus, and shoots 5 frames per second compared to 3 on the T6.  

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

ScottyP
Authority

I don't think it stands for anything.  It is just there to distinguish between the bottom rung models like the T5 and T6 from the more full-featured models like T5i and T6i.  

For example, the T6 has an 18MP sensor and uses a Digic 4 processor.  The T6i has a 24.4MP sensor and uses a Digic 6 processor.  The T6i has more controls to work with and has better autofocus, and shoots 5 frames per second compared to 3 on the T6.  

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Thanks Scott

StanC wrote:

StanC

Possibly "ichiban", which I believe means "number one" in Japanese. It's probably as good a guess as any.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@StanC wrote:

StanC

Marketing.  About a decade ago, it seemed like everybody had a high tech gadget that was "i" this,that, or some other thing.  Adding "i" to your product's name made it chic.  A decade before that it was "e" this, that, or some other thing.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

It is better than no letter, but not as good as an "S".

kvbarkley wrote:

It is better than no letter, but not as good as an "S".

If "S" was good enough for Superman, it's good enough for the 5D and the T6.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements