cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my T3i will not power up with sd card in place

majorblunders
Contributor

My Rebel T3i fails to power up with sd card in place.  I have three fully charged batteries and have tried each one.  I've checked for debris in the battery compartment, cleaned the contacts.  I've checked the contacts for both of my lenses and the contacts on the body where the lenses attach.  Tried several different sd cards as well.

The camera will start up w/o the sd card in place, but must first remove and replace the battery, after removing the card.   Only then will it start..

Help!  Any ideas what causes this?  Is there something I can do to remedy this situation without resorting to sending it in for repairs?  Seems to me that nearly $200 is a lot to charge for what may only be dirty contacts internally for the sd card..(.Just guessing, of course)

Thanks

18 REPLIES 18

Mykolas
Authority

Hi majorblunders!

Thank you for posting. 

I understand your EOS Rebel T3i will not power on.  I would like to help, but I need to get some specifics about the cards you are using.  This will go a long way toward figuring out what needs to be done at this point.  Please tell me the following about your cards:

1. Manufacturer:
  2. Capacity:
  3. Speed Rating:

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you for your response!

In answer to your question:  Manufacturer - Sony   Capacity - 64 GB  Speed rating - 10

Again thank you for any help you may have to offer

Carl

Did that card work in the past? Do you have another card to try?
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Hi Scott,

It worked well for a month or so.  I have a 32 GB card my wife is using in California, but I don't remember the brand, but it has a speed rating of ten, there is a 2 GB with her as well - speed rating 10.  All worked well until a week ago.

I'm stumped...

Carl

This may seem like a silly question to ask... but I just want to confirm that this isn't caused by the card not being inserted correctly.

When you are inserting the card, you are inserting it so that the label on the memory card faces the back of the camera.  The side where you can see the gold cantacts is facing the front of the camera. 

Also... I want to confirm that you're pressing the card in until it clicks (it will spring back out just a millimeter or two after clicking.

The memory card door has to be completely closed and latched into place (there are sensors for this.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ScottyP
Authority

Hi Majorblunders,

That sounds much more like a bad SD card than a bad camera.  I repeat that I think you need to try another SD card in the camera. 

And try formatting the card in the camera menu? 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Hi Scott,

I have tried 3 different cards, and re-formated two of them. 

Thanks for your interest and your suggestions,  but I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and send it in for repairs.

Thanks to all that replied.

Carl

majorblunders,

To start the repair process, you'll need to complete a Repair Request on our website.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I've tried that, but I don't remember the purchase date and it is required before I can complete the request.

Announcements