cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to sync SL1 with Elinchrom Quadra Ranger Flash unit?

tmenyc
Apprentice

i have a SL1 and an Elinchrom flash system.   Tonite, the remote transmitter suddenly stopped transmitting.  I replaced the battery, didn't fix it.  The unit appears to have power but is not talking to the Ranger Quadra system.  So, I'll sync by cable.  The system came with a syncing cable, but there is no port that fits on the SL1.  The hole on the SL1 is too small; cable's jack fits the microphone input only.  There is a "remote control terminal" on the SL1, and it appears to have come with an "interface cable, which I don't have.  Does this have a part number?  Would it work?

What do I look for to adapt it?  

Many thanks,

Tim

2 REPLIES 2

Tim
Authority

Hello tmenyc, 

Any strobes that I have used in the past used a PC sync cable and there is no port on the EOS Rebel SL1 which that would fit into unfortunately.  It cannot be used in either the mic jack or the remote jack those are for their respective uses and cannot handle the voltage which probably flows across that cable, so no adapters for either one.  

No, what I think you probably need is something called a Wein safe sync.  It fits on the hot shoe and has a PC sync connection type terminal on it that you may be able to use for strobes.  

There isn't anything direct from Canon that will enable that to be plugged into the camera though. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Well, that's not good. So, is the Skyport then the only assured means of connecting the Ranger Quadra with my SL1?  I did just read about the Wein units..that would connect to the Elinchrom synch cable, correct?  

Tim

Announcements