cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do you activate the popup flash on the 200d/ rebel sl2

lukeyb1234
Apprentice

hi can anyone please tell me how to activate the built inb pop up flash to change from ttl to manual flash

thank you!!

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@lukeyb1234 wrote:

hi can anyone please tell me how to activate the built inb pop up flash to change from ttl to manual flash

thank you!!

Hmm, check the instruction manual.  Most Rebels have a button with a lightning bolt icon on it, which is located on the top surface, near the main wheel.  The SL2 seems to lack such a button.  

You should be able to release it through the Quick Menu screen, but the SL2 seems to lack a [Q] button, too, but the functionality seems to be repurposed within the [SET] button..

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...to change from ttl to manual flash"

A far better idea would be to buy a real external flash.  The Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT woul dbe a nice unit on a SL2.  The built-in flash is almost useless.  IMHO, of course.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

A far better idea would be to buy a real external flash.  The Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT woul dbe a nice unit on a SL2.  The built-in flash is almost useless.  IMHO, of course.

One problem with built-in flash that rarely gets mentioned is that Ernie's (and my) favorite EF-S walkaround lens, the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, casts a huge shadow in the flash's coverage area, even on a 7D. I learned that the hard way on an important shoot. (Fortunately, all I lost were pictures I took of the hall's decorations before an event began; I was using the built-in only to save the batteries on my 580EX.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I know I could just buy an external flash but I don’t have the cash I am only 12

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I know I could just buy an external flash but I don’t have the cash I am only 12

@lukeyb1234 wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Did you look for a button with a lightning bolt on it?  I thought the SL2 did not have one, but they hid well.

DF65A659-E436-4DB3-8933-62D9D5694DD9.png

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

William_N
Enthusiast

Hi lukeyb1234,

The built-in flash of the Rebel SL2 is fixed on the ETTL-II flash mode. When using the built-in flash only the Shutter Synchronization and Flash Exposure Compensation settings can be changed.

When shooting with an external Speedlite you can select the flash mode to better suit a given situation (ETTL, Manual, Multi-flash, etc...). This information can be found on pages 192 and 193 of the camera's manual HERE.

If you have further questions about the flash operations of your SL2 I recommend contacting our Technical Support HERE.

Announcements