cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

getting a streak in pictures of moon

Captainsuh
Apprentice

new to using a camera but I got a canon t5 and last night I went to take a picture of the moon and each time I took a picture of the moon it had a streak of light go down it idk what's up exactly but I would like to know so I can fix it,IMG_0154[1].JPG

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Did you use a tripod?  Where's the Moon?  

That photo looks like motion blur of the Moon, due to a very slow shutter speed.  You need to set the exposure manually, because the camera will be fooled by the high contrast of the Moon and the night sky.

Use these exposure settings 1/100, f/11, ISO 100.  Use a tripod, with the center column fully lowered..  Use the shutter delay timer, too.  10 seconds.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

That photo looks like motion blur of the Moon, due to a very slow shutter speed.  You need to set the exposure manually, because the camera will be fooled by the high contrast of the Moon and the night sky.

Use these exposure settings 1/100, f/11, ISO 100.  Use a tripod, with the center column fully lowered..  Use the shutter delay timer, too.  10 seconds.

If the blotchy patches of light in the background are due to motion blur, then surely that's the least of the OP's problems. The bright white figure must be in the camera or the lens and close to the focal plane, since it's in such sharp focus. If the figure were black, I'd suspect a broken shutter; since it's white, maybe it's a light leak. But that's a lot of light to be making its way in at night. Could it be that the camera is trying to look through a telescope but isn't properly attached?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

If the blotchy patches of light in the background are due to motion blur, then surely that's the least of the OP's problems. The bright white figure must be in the camera or the lens and close to the focal plane, since it's in such sharp focus. If the figure were black, I'd suspect a broken shutter; since it's white, maybe it's a light leak. But that's a lot of light to be making its way in at night. Could it be that the camera is trying to look through a telescope but isn't properly attached?

Looks like an exposure that took over a second to me, and the OP lowered the camera.  Might have been standing in a dark yard.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

yes i was standing in a dark yard. and ill try using the manual mode the way u said to tonight. here's another picture I took last night.IMG_0159[1].JPG

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

You can use a much faster exposure on the moon... 

Manual mode

ISO 100

f/11

1/100th sec 

Or you can use f/8 and 1/200th sec... or f/5.4 and 1/400th sec.

The moon shouldn't be white (that's over-exposure).  It should be a medium gray.

While you technically don't need a tripod for the moon (you can hand-hold at 1/100th sec if you're steady) generally you'll want to use a tripod when shooting at night.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

thanks, guys I'm new to using cameras and I wasn't holding my hand steady enough if I had a tripod it would come out fine.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements