cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

comparing digital SLR camera

Jillian
Apprentice

Hi.  I am looking to buy my boyfriend a SLR.  We have had several canon point and shoot cameras but are ready to upgrade.  I am not sure which is the best model to go with.  We would be taking pics of scenery, kids playing sports, and our dog mostly.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.  I am comparing the T3i T4i and T5i

19 REPLIES 19

I'll say I agree with the info provided already & the T4i is the smarter buy but to help with the decision I recommend reading the full review of the T4i and the condensed review for the T5i here. It clearly explains the few updated features (or lack).

http://www.imaging-resource.com/MFR1.HTM?view=Canon_reviews

Just scroll down to the area where they are listed.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

My granddaughter asked me the same question yesterday and I told her I would get the T5i. Because a fast look at B&H shows them to be the same or nearly the same price. The T5i and the EF-S 18-55mm lens which seems to be the most popular is $899 for either the T4i or T5i. So I would advise to go with the most current model as the specs do seem to be nearly exactly the same for each model.

I do think the sales department sets the agenda for models to be created. To me another one is the 6D but, hey, Canon is a profit orientated business and that is how you make their money.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

A fast look at Amazon shows the T4i kit is currently $650, bought directly from Canon, with free 2-day shipping if you have Prime.  That's with the 18-55II, not the STM version, but personally I'd prefer the non-STM.

Both version offer a kit with the 18-135 STM, it's $799 for the T4i and $1099 for the T5i. 

Not worth $250+ for an embossed dial, IMHO.

And all businesses, with the exception of non-profits of course, are profit-oriented.  It's the nature of business.  I know you like to make statements without actually support the 'why', but the 6D is a great camera that fills a niche, even if the internet gearheads can't wrap their minds around it.

Edit:  the T4i kit is $650 at B&H too.

"Not worth $250+ for an embossed dial, IMHO"

And mine! But if you can get the newer model for the same price or very little more, why not?

“... but the 6D is a great camera that fills a niche ...”

Yes it is, as long as you declare it a “niche” camera. It is possible to create a need for anything, I guess? So see we do agree on some points.

IMHO, all Canon cameras a pretty darn good. That's why I have them.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Yes it is, as long as you declare it a “niche” camera. It is possible to create a need for anything, I guess? So see we do agree on some points.

Yes, and the niche it fills is 'a moderately priced full frame camera'.  The same one the 5d2 held previously, there was no new market created.   Would you prefer if I used the term 'market segment'?  I know you like to think that the 5d2 is a superior camera, but until you're ready to back up the claim with some sort of rationale, it's all just hot air.

I know you like to think that the 5d2 is a superior camera, but until you're ready to back up the claim with some sort of rationale, it's all just hot air.”

I am not a pixel pepper or data miner like you apparently are I rely on real world conditions and experience to judge relevance. On paper the 6D is “better” and it does fill a price gap between the 5D Mk II and MK III. Therefore it does fill a niche, I freely admit you have a point. Sorta like that “embossed dial” you mentioned. If the embossed dial is worth it to you than by all means buy one. That is what Canon is banking on.

I, on the other hand, am retiring from the photographic business and see the 6D as not worth it over my 5D Mk II and I don't want to invest the greater dollars in the Mk III. The 6D will produce nothing that my 5D2 doesn't. You don't need the latest greatest unless the latest greatest is giving you something in return. I still use a 1D Mk III and even my XTi. WOW!

So the bottom line, you are the winner, the 6D is a better camera than the 5D2. I'm out of “hot air” now!

EB

Stop being dramatic, that's a completely different situation and I agree with you. I don't understand you implication that Canon has done something devious with the release of the 6D.  I would never recommend that someone who owns a 5d2 upgrade to a 6D.  Nor have I ever suggested that the 5d2 is a poor camera.  But for someone in the market to purchase a full frame, the 6D is the obvious choice. 

I just don’t understand why so many 5d2 owners, who I’d assume loved their camera, can be so negative on the 6D, which is essentially a modern release of the 5d2.  Nope, nothing profoundly new (that was in the 5d3, and the price is reflective of it), but there are some minor performance enhancements (centerpoint sensitivity, slight ISO performance, slight DR, slight FPS), a couple of extra features (WiFi, GPS, video autofocus), in a smaller package that costs less than the 5d2 was selling for new.  Win, win.

hsbn
Whiz
Skirball already gave you the most helpful advise; so I'll just chime in to say go with the T4i. $250 different you can use to buy a bag, memory card, card reader, other accessories, heck, you can buy another lens.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

Any business that isn't profit driven won't be there when the warranty repairs are needed. They also won't have the money to develop new products.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

This is worth a watch if you're still deciding between the T5i and T4i:

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements