cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

canon t6i dc power pack and dc dummy battery

rgainer86
Apprentice

I have a canon t6i and would like to get a dummy battery and use a dc power pack so i can go all day is there any help yall can give me that would be great thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Danny

Hi, rgainer86!

What you're looking for is the AC Adapter Kit ACK-E18, allowing you to feed power from an electrical outlet directly into the camera for unlimited operating time. Click HERE to check it out.

We hope this helps!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The battery grip and two extra batteries is preferable.  No need for the long extension cord!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Longer battery life was one reason that I bought grip for my camera.  Another was that I heard that a grip can give the camera/lens combo better balance in your hand, especially with some of the heavier "L" lenses.

There are settings changes that you can make that help conserve power.  Two changes that I make are to stop trying to auto focus when the lens has lost focus, which is most useful with telephoto lenses.  Another setting to change is to shorten, or entirely disable the previews after you take shot.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Will be moving around or will the camera remain in one spot?

DSLR's will go through their battery power faster if in "live view" mode (because this keeps the sensor active and the display screen active).  In normal shooting through the viewfinder, the power draw is extremely small and it's rare to need more battery power unless you're doing VERY heavy shooting.  

If you do a LOT of shooting in a day, the battery grip holds two batteries (but it connects through the battery compartment  which means you can't use the internal battery compartment when using the battery grip).  This doubles the battery power.

HOWEVER... there are certain applications where even more battery power is needed.  Astrophotography comes to mind... we keep the camera sensor busy literally for hours at a time and even two batteries is usually not enough to last a night.  So it turns out there are 3rd parties who make power adapters that let you connect the camera to a 12v battery (Orion Telescopes sells them.)  One downside is that you're basically tethered to the battery (so you can't be very mobile)... but it doesn't require that you be near an AC power source.  If you CAN be a near an AC power source, then the Canon AC adapter is the better choice.

I should caveat, however, that I do NOT see an adapter for the T6i.  The T2i, T3i, T4i, and T5i (which all use the LP-E8 battery).  But the T6i uses an LP-E17 battery (not the same size as it's predecessors) so the Orion adapter wont work with a T6i.  If you were to do a web search for "12v DC power adapter for EOS" you'd find the adapters that do exist... I just don't find one for a T6i.

If you're shooting events (basically shooting normal pictures or video and you need to be able to move around) then you want a battery grip.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements