cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't decide for best image quality T3i,T4i,T5i or SL1

geajr
Apprentice

I'm sorry but i just can't decide on which would be the best all around camera for my first dslr. thank you for any help!

7 REPLIES 7

ScottyP
Authority
There is not a lot of image quality difference between them. The T5i has better autofocus.

What is your budget and what will you use the camera for?
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

thank you, my budget is around seven hundred and i'll just be taking shots of just about everything inside as well as outside. not to much as far as action shots.

The lens(es) you use will have far more to do with the IQ than the bodies in that list. Very few of us could tell which body produced which image if they all took the same shot with the same lens.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

amfoto1
Authority

Yes, all four of those use essentially the same 18MP sensor, so you would have a hard time telling apart image quality from one or the other.

The T3i is the oldest model of the bunch, still available at the middle of the Rebel series line and a full featured camera.

Technically the T4i has been replaced by the T5i, the top of the current Rebel series line-up. The T4i's claim to fame was as the first DSLR to have the convenience of a touch screen. The T5i has that too, as well as other enhancements, mostly related to shooting video if memory serves.

At the time it was announced, the SL1 was the smallest and lightest DSLR (I don't know if that's still the case).

You might find this comparison tool helpful: http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=canon_eos600d&products=canon_eos650d&...

If you buy one of the cameras with a "kit" lens (or two), you'll get the best deal on the lens. Typically these models are bundled in kit with the EF-S 18-55mm IS lens, or a somewhat improved version 18-55mm IS STM. Often you can also find two-lens kits with the EF-S 55-250mm IS (also avail. in an STM version) added, which is a good lens too. "STM" stands for "Stepping Motor" and refers to an improved method of focusing.  

An upgraded, single kit lens option you'll sometimes find with these models is the EF-S 18-135mm IS or EF-S 18-135mm IS STM. One of these might be a good choice if you only want a single lens to start with.

Shop around.... You should be able to find a kit that fits your budget. If you want the two-lens kit or the upgrade single lens, you might have to go with one of the older model cameras. But check with the big online retailers such as B&H Photo, Adorama, Amazon, etc., to see what deals you can find.

In case you are unaware, most of the participants on this forum are Canon users and enthusiasts, not Canon employees.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

wow!! thank you for all the interest and helpful information! i'm so grateful. i did fail to mention that i've heard good reviews on the new sigma 18-250 macro lens. although with the canon body it would be abit over budget i think that it would cover everything that i would ever want.

For the record you will be hurting the max IQ any of the bodies in your list could produce with that lens BUT from what I've read it's a very good choice in a superzoom right now. There are a lot of photographers, both serious ones & pro's who condemn superzooms no matter what but I've depended on them for several years & still do. Better yet they teach you what which focal lengths you use the most so you can start saving for a high quality lens that will serve you best at what you shoot the most.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

thank you for the info. i think that i'll just stick with the kit stm lens for now until i learn the camera first. once again i thank everyone for all the help!

Announcements