cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

broken autofocus on canon eos 600d rebel t3i

Nabilmuafa
Contributor

i have a canon eos 600d rebel t3i with the kit lens (18-55mm). a few days ago, this dslr works fine, like nothing happened. but since yesterday, the autofocus of my camera is broken. well, it's not completely 'broken'. since yesterday, my camera can only autofocus on 18mm or 55mm. so if you zoom it like at 35mm it would not auto focus. i've searched almost the whole internet but i never found anyone having the same problem as me, which leads me to not finding the solution. i hope in this forum, someone could give me a solution to this problem. thanks!

and sorry if there's bad english

3 REPLIES 3

With any autofocus problem, the first thing one has to do is isolate it to either the camera or the lens. (Unless the camera has been dropped, it's rarely both.) Have you tested the camera with a different lens and the lens with a different camera?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Remember it is the lens that AF.  Not the camera.  So, it is not likely the camera.  I would try a different lens if you can.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

From Canon Product expert Julius:

Try this:

1. Take the lens off of your camera.
  2. Put the lens in MF mode.
  3. Twist the FOCUS ring (the tip of the lens) all the way to one side (extend it). You may hear a click noise or two, this is good, but don't FORCE the lens.
  4. Twist the FOCUS ring all the way to the opposite side (retract it). Again, you may hear a couple of clicking noises. What we hope is happening is the focusing motor being put back into its proper place.
  5. Put the lens back on the camera.
  6. Put the lens in AF mode.
  7. Turn the camera on.
  8. Put the camera in AUTO or P mode.
  9. Take a test photo.
  10. Profit.

Hopefully this solves your problems, and you never have to worry about it again! With my personal lenses that are not USM or STM, I always store and transport them with the AF/MF switch in the MF position. This disengages the focusing motor and prevents any accidental damage to the auto focusing motor.

If this didn't solve your problem, please feel free to click HERE to contact us for additional troubleshooting, and explore other options that might be available to you.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements