cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom

D4v319
Apprentice

I am a newbie when it comes to the world of dslr cameras. I just recently purchased a rebel t6 camera. The problem i seem to be having, is when i zoom in to a certain subject matter and snap a photo, the piicture comes out as just a regular photo. what am i doing wrong, and how can this problem be fixed? please an thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@kvbarkley wrote:

It is unclear what the issue is. What lens do you have?

When you zoom, you will still get what is shown in the viewfinder/liveview screen. If you mean that you are "zooming" during live view shooting, that is only a focus aid and does not affect the image at all.

Or to put it another way, zooming you do by turning the zoom ring on the lens will affect both what you see and what you get. But "zooming" you do by changing a setting on the camera to magnify the display will affect only what you see.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

When you zoom, you will still get what is shown in the viewfinder/liveview screen. If you mean that you are "zooming" during live view shooting, that is only a focus aid and does not affect the image at all.

Im usinf a 18-55mm lens 

Can you take a picture at 18mm and another at 55mm, then post them here so we can see what they look like?

@kvbarkley wrote:

Or to put it another way, zooming you do by turning the zoom ring on the lens will affect both what you see and what you get. But "zooming" you do by changing a setting on the camera to magnify the display will affect only what you see.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

If you are using live-view mode and zooming, that feature is really just intended to let you inspect a subject more closely -- it doesn't change the photo.

For example, when I do astrophotography, I'll roughly focus the lens to infinity (because that'll be "close") then I'll use live-view to zoom in ... this allows me to inspect my subject (in my case, I'll be trying to refine the focus on stars) and now I can fine-tune my focus until I'm happy with it.  This doesn't change the 'zoom' on the image I'm going to capture... the only way to change that is to use the zoom ring on the lens itself.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements