cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is the 2-sec timer option unavailable on my Canon Camera eos t3i-eos600d

Doug8
Apprentice

Why is the 2-sec timer option unavailable for the Automatic shoot settings on my Canon Camera eos t3i-eos600? It is available on the manual settings.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@cicopo wrote:

Auto mode is a very limited mode. Try using Program until you learn how the other modes give you more control.

Think of it this way, Doug: "A" (Auto) mode is the "Windows 8" of photography. Just as Windows 8 is designed to make a desktop or laptop computer look and act like a cellular phone, Auto mode is designed to make a serious camera behave like a point-and-shoot.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

cicopo
Elite

Auto mode is a very limited mode. Try using Program until you learn how the other modes give you more control.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

@cicopo wrote:

Think of it this way, Doug: "A" (Auto) mode is the "Windows 8" of photography. Just as Windows 8 is designed to make a desktop or laptop computer look and act like a cellular phone, Auto mode is designed to make a serious camera behave like a point-and-shoot.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks. I appreciate the insight. I'm pretty much a novice and I will start using the P mode to take pictures with the 2 second delay.

Thanks. I understand.

With P mode you can & should learn how to use Exposure Compensation & Flash Exposure Compensation, both of which are very handy & not available in Auto.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

TCampbell
Elite
Elite
Full "Auto" mode limits what you can override. It's trying to be fool-proof by locking you out of accidentally making a change and possibly not knowing what you did to return the camera to normal function.

"Program" mode will set the exposure the same as if you were using "Auto" mode... except Program mode lets you override many things about the shot. You don't have to override anything... you can treat it just like Auto mode... but you *can* override things if you want to.
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks. I'll start using Program mode.

Announcements