cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which T should I get?

Davy123
Contributor

Hello, I started out with the canon rebel 35mm years ago. Great camera, couldn't take a bad picture with it. Still keep it in my bag ready to go.  I moved up to the digital rebel T1i years ago.  Also great camera.  Lens that I use are 18-55, 55-250, an 75-300 mm.  I shoot indoors, (make shift home studio), outdoors, plants and wildlife, also sports (two kids) probable grandchildren in a couple of years.

I am 47 years old and I want to upgrade one more time.  Probable be the last camera I buy. SO, What do you'll recommend.  The T2i, T3i, T4i, T5i, ?????

Thanks, DAVY

13 REPLIES 13

Skirball
Authority

What are your complaint(s) and shortcommings with your current setup?  Personally I wouldn't recommend upgrading to another "T model".  The difference in image quality isn't much, so unless one of them has a feature you want I think it's a waste of money.  You'd be better off putting that money towards a new lens.

I really don't have any complaints.  I haven't researched all the new features on all the new models, so really don't know what I'm missing, if anything.  I just thought there might be something on the newer models that would say. "Man I have to have that feature to take good photos"  OR  Maybe a "Fix all" user error button. LOL.

OK, so that brings up two more questions.

Question one

Hypothetically, if I dropped my T1i and it broke into a thousand pieces, what camera would I get? T2i 3i 4i 5i?

Question two

If I spent that money on a lens, what lens would I get? Micro, Wide angle, or something above the 300.

Thanks DAVY

@Davy123 wrote:

I just thought there might be something on the newer models that would say. "Man I have to have that feature to take good photos"  OR  Maybe a "Fix all" user error button. LOL.

There absolutely isn't.  Upgrading to a whole new platform, say 7D or a full frame, sure, they can make a big difference.  But there's very little difference in the next generations of the Rebel.  They release every year regardless of having something new.  Also, as someone who shot with a 450D for many years and did just fine with it, I'm confident the T1 is a very capable camera.  Don't upgrade because you think it will magically make your photography better.

Davy123 wrote:Hypothetically, if I dropped my T1i and it broke into a thousand pieces, what camera would I get? T2i 3i 4i 5i?

A T3 or T4, depending on my needs.  There is no difference between T4 and T5, other than an embossed button.  But you have to find the T4 refurbished, Canon discontinued it (to push sales of T5).

@Davy123 wrote:

If I spent that money on a lens, what lens would I get? Micro, Wide angle, or something above the 300.

Thanks DAVY

That depends entirely on what you want to do with it.  If you want to shoot macro, I'd recommend a macro lens.  If you want to shoot something far away, I'd go above 300mm.  That's half the point of SLRs, the ability to customize your lens to your need.

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it.  Really,  you probable saved me hundreds of dollars, that kind of information, to me, is invaluable.  I figured it might be a money thing with canon, coming out with a new camera every year.

If I do have to replace my T1i, according to your info, I will take a good look at the T3i.

I'm sure some of the features are pretty cool, but I'm not about the (pretties and frillies) I'm about taking good pictures. I'm a little old fashion like my dad, He never would buy a car with power windows.  He would say, "unless you have two broke arms you can still roll down you window, if you had two broke arms you would not be driving anyway." LOL

thanks again

DAVY

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I agree with Skirball, again?Smiley Surprised

But with where you are at, I think a Canon 7D would be a logical choice. It is a more professional level camera. Quite a move from the Rebel series. You may be ready to step into this level of body.

"Lens that I use are 18-55, 55-250, an 75-300 mm", are not stellar performers Smiley Indifferent and there are many that will do much better. So, it may be better to put your money into some “pro” level lenses. Maybe a 70-200mm f4 “L” or even a 70-200mm f2.8 L. That would be very cool.Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I'm sorry I gave you the wrong info on one of my lens. I have the 70-300mm F4-5.6 IS.  I know it's not a professional lens but it is better then the 75-300.

ebiggs1--  I think a Canon 7D would be a logical choice

Thanks I will take a look at the 7d

ebiggs1--"Lens that I use are 18-55, 55-250, an 75-300 mm", are not stellar performers :smileyindifferent: 

Up until recently I didn't realize how big a difference a lens makes. I guess I could rent some of those lens you mentioned and see what kind of difference your talking about.  I don't even tell people I have a canon 35-80.  It is a peace of crap even though it says canon on it.

thank again

DAVY

Thanks Tim for spending the time, for all that info.

Ya'll have gave me a lot of great choices and direction I can go.

On a lighter note.

As most of you have already detected, I must admit...

I am a guy.

I am married.

I am trying to talk her into letting me spend more money on my hobby.

Thanks for the info, I can now baffle her with all this knowledge in hopes of convincing her that I know what I am talking about.Smiley Very Happy

The way I see it, I can either,

1 Stick with my T1i and up grade to the L series lenses. Now that I know that lens quality will boast my performance.  And see how long the T1i last before I go to a better body.

2 Up grade to the T3i $499.00 or T5i $749.00 and see where that gets me with the sub-par lens I have. Let her use the T1i as my side kick. (good selling point)

3 Dive into the 70d $1,199.00 or 6d $1,620.00 or 5d lll $1,800.00  but will be a while before I can get a good lens for it.  But I can still use the, good selling point card.

Thanks again

DAVY

@Davy123 wrote:

1 Stick with my T1i and up grade to the L series lenses. Now that I know that lens quality will boast my performance.  And see how long the T1i last before I go to a better body.

2 Up grade to the T3i $499.00 or T5i $749.00 and see where that gets me with the sub-par lens I have. Let her use the T1i as my side kick. (good selling point)

3 Dive into the 70d $1,199.00 or 6d $1,620.00 or 5d lll $1,800.00  but will be a while before I can get a good lens for it.  But I can still use the, good selling point card.

No contest, choice 1.  An upgraded lens can provided performance enhancements orders of magnitude more than option 2.  And option 3 is just silly, though par for course for around here.  Come in looking at the possibility of upgrading to a new Rebel and leave convinced you need a 5d3 and 24-70 II.

It sounds like you've been shooting for a bit now, but since you came looking for an upgrade with no specific issues with your current setup, it says to me that it's more likely a case of upgrade-itis.  Nothing wrong with that, but with a bit of practice and maybe a lens upgrade, I think you'll find that you can make significant upgrades in the output of your current camera.   

I’m not sure what kind of studio work you’re doing, but if you’re using lighting then you can get the same results out of your T1i as someone with a 5D Mark III. When you’re controlling the light, and you don’t need big enlargements (and I mean big, not 8 x 10), there’s very little difference in the final output unless you’re pixel peeping.  Considering that 99.999999% of photos are just shared online and viewed on a computer monitor it’s amazing the amount of hype that surrounds the higher end cameras.

Wow. Skirball You hit the nail on the head with all three points.  That's funny, I did come here looking to upgrade possibly to the T2i just to get the swivel screen LOL.  and now I'm looking at the 5D.  Wow all this info and knowledge has made me a professional in just a couple of days. LOL 

My wife thanks you for bringing my feet back to planet earth.

Just because there is a T2i 3i 4i 5i  I felt a little inferior, but now I fell better about my T1i.  I think I will pull back on the reins, and rent some different L series lenses and go from there.

If I have any problems our question I will defiantly come here for the answers.

Thanks DAVY

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements