cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What viewer (software) can handle a wide range of video formats

erisajd
Apprentice

I need to locate a video file viewer that can handle a wide range of High Def (HD) formats. 

• MOV files from my VIXIA M400,   
  • MTS files from my T2i, 
  • MOV files from a cheap Coleman underwater camera my grandson uses, 
  • M2TS files that are conversions from the Coleman camera's MOV files, and 
  • MOV files that a friend took on his NIkon AW100 underwater camera. 

Over time there may be other/additional video formats but for now a viewer that can view all of these movies would be excellent.

All of these are HD files.  AVCHD, I think.  All are captured on SD or SDHC or micro-SD cards. 

I don't want software that "imports" the files from SD cards to the computer.  I don't want editing software.  I don't want cataloging software.  I just want simple software that will view a wide range of HD files (and I don't care if I am viewing them in HD or not).  When I have viewed them and have decided which to use (and which to not use), I will then go to work importing and editing using fairly high end video editing software that I own.  But first, I would just like to see what I have captured. 

I have looked and looked without success.  Frankly one of the most difficult file types for me to view are the MOV files that come from the VIXIA. 

Somehow I don't think this should be as difficult as it seems to be.

erisajd

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

erisajd
Apprentice

Ok, I may have answered my own Q.

ArcSoft makes a "VideoConverter 8" software that does a pretty good job taking all sorts of file formats and turning them into other formats (mostly useful for iPod, iPhone, Facebook, YouTube and similar uploads).

This software sells for about $30 and allows one to view the files that are about to be converted.  I suppose the idea is that if you don't like what you see, you don't convert.

Anyway, it seems to handle all the file formats that I mentioned.  So, I guess I have found my own answer.  Wasn't easy but I found it.

erisajd

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

erisajd
Apprentice

Ok, I may have answered my own Q.

ArcSoft makes a "VideoConverter 8" software that does a pretty good job taking all sorts of file formats and turning them into other formats (mostly useful for iPod, iPhone, Facebook, YouTube and similar uploads).

This software sells for about $30 and allows one to view the files that are about to be converted.  I suppose the idea is that if you don't like what you see, you don't convert.

Anyway, it seems to handle all the file formats that I mentioned.  So, I guess I have found my own answer.  Wasn't easy but I found it.

erisajd

Announcements