cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What types of CF Cards are supported by the Canon EOS Rebel XTI

daddywags
Contributor

I have a Canon EOS Rebel XTI, recently bought a  Lexar Profesiional 128GB 160MB/s  1066x CF Card, went to use it and Camera diplayed: THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE CF CARD  REPLACE THE CF CARD.  I was assured by the salesperson the card would work with my Rebel XTI. Can someone please explain  if the card will work or did I buy the wrong type card? Thanks any help is appreciated

12 REPLIES 12

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@daddywags wrote:

I have a Canon EOS Rebel XTI, recently bought a  Lexar Profesiional 128GB 160MB/s  1066x CF Card, went to use it and Camera diplayed: THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE CF CARD  REPLACE THE CF CARD.  I was assured by the salesperson the card would work with my Rebel XTI. Can someone please explain  if the card will work or did I buy the wrong type card? Thanks any help is appreciated

The salesperson was wrong.  a 128 GB card is WAY too much capacity for the camera's firmware.  Stick to the sizes that were available when the camera was sold.  Stick to cards with 32 GB, or less, memory capacity.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks Waddizzle, appreciate the info

was also told it would support the 64 GB card as well.

@daddywags wrote:
was also told it would support the 64 GB card as well.

Let me guess,  You were told that by the same salesperson.  Like I said, 4-16GB is what is best.  Your camera does not produce files as large as the latest models.  You do not need 128GB of memory space.

was actually told about the 64GB card being compatible with the XTi by a local pro photographer who does senior pics for the high school where we live. He does do great work even if he misinformed me. Thanks again, have a good weekend

@daddywags wrote:
was actually told about the 64GB card being compatible with the XTi by a local pro photographer who does senior pics for the high school where we live. He does do great work even if he misinformed me. Thanks again, have a good weekend

He may or may not be correct. The question becomes 'why would you want larger than a 32GB card'?

A 32GB card will hold a couple thousand XTi pictures even when shooting RAW+JPG. 

@daddywags wrote:

That "local pro photographer" may have never even seen an Xti, much less used one. Let me put it to you this way: When my wife and I got our Xti's, I believe they came with 4-GB CF cards. And that seemed large at the time. With our previous P&S cameras, we had used 16-MB cards.

Here's a novel idea: Open up your Xti instruction manual and see what it says is the largest card the camera can accept.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@daddywags wrote:

That "local pro photographer" may have never even seen an Xti, much less used one. Let me put it to you this way: When my wife and I got our Xti's, I believe they came with 4-GB CF cards. And that seemed large at the time. With our previous P&S cameras, we had used 16-MB cards.

Here's a novel idea: Open up your Xti instruction manual and see what it says is the largest card the camera can accept.

I would doubt if the instruction manual offers any insight on that front.  The maximum capacity of cards was not an issue at the time.  I am not sure where you can get 4 GB CF cards, which can be trusted to be reliable.  It seems 8-16GB is the standard at the low end of the scale.

Stephen

Hi guys!

The XTi was released in 2006. That's right at the cusp of "big" CF cards, which means it *should* be able to handle just about any card you toss into it, up to 512GB, however the card has to be formatted as FAT32, so you might need to do that in a computer before using it in the camera.

Bear in mind, this is an older model, and in technical support, we honestly haven't tried to use a giant card in an XTi, because it hasn't come up. If you have a mind to do so, you could call in on Monday when there are people in the office and see if someone has a huge card and can try it in the XTi we have - it won't hurt anything to try! Our team is in the office from 8am to Midnight (Eastern) during the week and on Saturday from 10am to 8pm at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666), they're right here in the USA, and are 100% free! 

Announcements