cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a Rebel in the UK

denimknight
Apprentice

Hi all,

New to the forum and looking for some help.

I currently use a bridge camera and am looking to move up to a DSLR, want to give astro photography a try.

I'm on a bit of budget so I'm going a second hand camera.  I have the choice between:

Rebel T1i

EOS 500D

Rebel T2i

EOS 550D

I know that the T1i and 500D are the same camera just named differently (same with the T2i and 550D), but was wondering if the Rebel versions will work ok over here in the UK or if I'll need to get some kind of adapter.

Also price wise, there is £30 between the T1i and T2i, is there enough of a difference between these two cameras to pay the extra £30 or will I not really notice the difference?

Hope you can help.

Thanks

Alex

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@denimknight wrote:

Hi all,

New to the forum and looking for some help.

I currently use a bridge camera and am looking to move up to a DSLR, want to give astro photography a try.

I'm on a bit of budget so I'm going a second hand camera.  I have the choice between:

Rebel T1i

EOS 500D

Rebel T2i

EOS 550D

I know that the T1i and 500D are the same camera just named differently (same with the T2i and 550D), but was wondering if the Rebel versions will work ok over here in the UK or if I'll need to get some kind of adapter.

Also price wise, there is £30 between the T1i and T2i, is there enough of a difference between these two cameras to pay the extra £30 or will I not really notice the difference?

Hope you can help.

Thanks

Alex

The T2i was considered to be a significant improvement over the Ti1; so all other things (condition, etc.) being equal, the T2i should be worth the extra money. But buying used equipment is always a gamble, so be careful. If you're dealing with a camera store, make sure they're reputable and try to get a guarantee that lets you return the camera if it doesn't work out. I don't know whether there's something comparable in the UK, but in the US Canon operates an online store that sells refurbished equipment, on an "as available" basis, with a guarantee comparable to the one they provide on new equipment.

You don't mention lenses. Unless they're all identical, any differences might affect your decision.

The nomenclature differences won't affect the cameras' performance. But it's possible that the "Rebels" may have U.S. battery chargers, in which case you'd probably need an adapter. I believe all Canon chargers work on both 110V and 220V AC, but our wall outlets are different from yours.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

@Bryston3bsst wrote:

I had a 500D (T1i) and a 600D (T3i). Someone above mentioned that there was a 'significant' difference between the T1i and a T2i. I beg to differ. I noticed little to no difference in any aspect of the two cameras that I had. Both had fine picture quality and both functionally were very similar, I can't of anything worth mentioning between the two.

I was quite happy with both in the time I owned them and I think you will enjoy either one of them.

You are obviously free to differ. (You don't even have to beg.) But I guess it didn't occur to you to compare the sensors of your two cameras. The T1i's was 15MP; that of the T2i, the T3i, and a variety of other fairly recent Canon DSLRs (including even the 7D) was a more modern 18MP design. A perfectly natural oversight, unless you happened to read the manuals.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Well, 15 to 18MP is not usually a noticable difference. For a square sensor you are going from 3870 x 3870 to 4240x4240, only a 10% difference.

ETA: There, of course, could be great improvements in other electronics, espicially the DIGIC that can greatly influence IQ. Canon kept this 18MP sensor for a long time, so there must have been something good about it.

Probably the biggest myth in cameraworld is the sensor. Folks think they know more about sensors than anything else in a camera but actually they know less.  More MP is always better.  Right?  No not necessarily.   More current supporting electronics is worth more.  Very much more!

A quick glance at the two manuals (my son's kids have both models) shows the T2i has;

Better color depth 22.1 bits vs 21.7 bits.
Supports 24p.
Low light performance. The T2i has a slight edge (0.2 f-stops) in low-noise, high-ISO performance.
Significantly higher resolution screen.
External mic jack.
Higher frame rate movies 1080p @ 30fps vs 1080p @ 20fps.
18 MP vs 15 mp better image quality. 
Slightly longer battery life.

Almost always it is best to go with the most current technology you can.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements