cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This message on screen: "lens not communicating with camera" How do I fix this?

DConolly
Apprentice

5 REPLIES 5

Stephen

Hi DConolly! While this is a pretty general question, you might get a better response if our Community and our Subject Matter experts know which model Rebel you're dealing with and which lens(es) you're having problems with specifically, and what troubleshooting you've already tried. Thanks!

Thanks Stephen. The camera is an EOS Rebel XS. This message is ONLY displayed when I have the Tamron AF 70-300mm lens mounted, and ONLY with it zoomed to the 300mm limit. At that point, even though the message is displayed, it still takes the shot, although mostly not focused. By the way, I cleaned all contacts between lens & camera, to no avail. Thanks again!

Hello DConnolly,

Canon is unable to guarantee any third-party lenses will work properly with the EOS Rebel XS.  If after cleaning the contacts you still only experience this with your Tamron lens and not Canon lenses, then the camera is working properly.  I recommend that you contact Tamron directly to see if there is anything they are able to do to get your lens working again.  I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks Mike. While awaiting your reply I cleared all settings on the camera, installed the latest Firmware updates, and have seen a marked improvement, about 95%.I've had this Rebel XS for 3 years & about 40k shots, so I've interpreted that error message to mean it is time for me to upgrade to another Canon.

Many zoom lenses have a ribbon cable inside them that wears after a while and when stretched to the max or shortened to the minimum can become disconnected and unable to send the signal from the camera to the lens motor for focusing and aperture control.  If this is an older lens I would suggest that this situation is a strong possiblity.  If it's an expensive lens you might want to have it serviced.  If it's a less expensive lens then you might want to replace it.

Announcements