cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Third party battery grip

legaldr
Apprentice

I have a third party battery grip for my t2i.  For some reason, I cannot adjust the aperture or f/stop when it is connected.  I disconnect it and presto chango, the manual settings go like butter.  How come?

1 REPLY 1

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The battery grip does two things:

1)  It holds two batteries instead of just one.  Doubling your battery capacity.  The batter power is always available to the camera.

2)  The battery grips also have a few extra controls so that you can hold the camera in a "vertical" orientation (aften referred to as "portrait" orientation) and you get an extra shutter button, main dial, etc.    However, those controls will only work if the power switch on the battery grip is switched to the "on" positioon.  The controls on your main camera body (not on the grip) should work regardless of whether the battery grip's power switch is on or not (assuming your main camera is switched on.)

Do you lose ability to control the aperture and shutter settings even when using the controls on the main camera when the grip is attached?

Is the switch on the grip in the "on" or "off" position when you have this problem, or does it matter?  

Since this is a 3rd party grip, Canon wont be able to do much to support you (other than to suggest you buy the Canon brand grip, which they do support). 

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements